We’re delighted to be running our Return to Work Programme once again after a successful pilot last year.
Starting in September 2019, this six-month programme is aimed at anyone who’s taken a career break of a year or more and who wants to re-immerse themselves back into professional life.
Why we’ve launched this programme
At Shell, we believe we can power progress together if we have a culture where different perspectives are encouraged and considered. Our success in shaping the global future of energy depends on tapping into the broadest possible range of talent.
Right from the top, there’s a firmly held view at Shell that diversity isn’t a nice-to-have. It’s at the very heart of the way we work: it enriches our culture, informs our ideas and shapes the connections we make, all over the world.
Through engaging work that fits around your life, we’ll help you sharpen your skills, refresh your knowledge and renew your confidence – by the end of the programme, you’ll be well prepared to take your career to the next level.
You’ll need to be eligible to work in the UK from September 2019 to March 2020, available to join us in the office for the equivalent of three days a week and have knowledge, skills and experience that align to at least one of the disciplines participating including:
- IT - (80 Strand, London/ Shell Centre, Waterloo)
- Exploration - (Shell Centre, London)
- Upstream - (Tullos, Aberdeen)
- Contracting & Procurement (Tullos, Aberdeen)
- Shipping & Maritime – (80 Strand, London / Shell Centre,
Your manager will be a valuable source of support from start to finish. Before the project, you’ll meet up to discuss your goals, your preferred way of working, and set outcomes. Throughout the programme, they’ll provide on-the-job coaching, regular check-ins to feedback how you’re doing, and a mid-term and end-of-programme review.
You’ll also have a mentor – someone from your field of professional expertise – and a buddy to help you get to know Shell. A key support feature of Shell’s programme is the opportunity to receive one-to-one coaching and group career coaching from our external providers Inclusivity. You’ll find plenty of opportunities to build your contacts and explore your priorities too – whether at monthly Lunch & Learn sessions, get-togethers with your cohort, in meetings with country leadership or at any number of our diverse networking events.
The goal is to help you reintegrate into the world of work and to get a taste of a career with Shell. With guidance from your line manager, mentor and buddy, you’ll be well positioned to confidently return to work following your break.
Here’s what you can expect from us:
- Engaging work that matches your skills.
- A contract for the equivalent of at least three days a week.
- Support from a manager who’s been trained to help you get the best out of the programme – plus a mentor and a buddy.
- Clear points of contact before and during your placement so you can tap into support and navigate the world of Shell.
- Knowledge sharing sessions and regular check-ins to see how you’re progressing.
- Flexibility around hours – you may well have personal priorities outside work, so we won’t expect you to work a typical 9-5.
- Clarity on what we expect from you; regular check ins.
- Practical advice with care arrangements, whether for children or anyone else you care for (via Bright Horizons, our external partners).