Job title: Accounting Policy
Corporate Title: Vice President
Department: EMEA Finance - Finance Policy Group
The Finance Policy Group is a newly centralised group within the Finance Department, bringing together existing Accounting, Regulatory and Liquidity policy SMEs into a single centralised team to provide synergies and enhance consistency across Accounting, Regulatory and Liquidity policy topic areas.
The team's responsibilities are growing as the regulatory change agenda continues to evolve and the business seek to enter into new product areas to increase franchise opportunities.
Reporting directly to a Managing Director, who is both the EMEA Head of the Finance Policy Group and Global Head of the Accounting Policy Group, this is an exciting opportunity to participate in an important area of regulatory change and be involved in developing the Firms thinking and approach to documenting and implementing constantly evolving regulatory requirements. The role will entail close business partnering with senior stakeholders within the business acting in an advisory capacity whilst maintaining robust control and documentation of technical analysis.
The role will include current and future policy and interpretation analysis and documentation focusing on Accounting issues under US GAAP, IFRS and UK GAAP (FRS 101).
The individual will be responsible for assessing the requirements related to these areas, liaising with the financial and regulatory reporting teams, business areas, Finance and other Corporate functions to manage the internal life cycle of accounting and regulatory change with a core focus on analysis, interpretation and documentation of policies and treatment of complex new transactions.
The individual will participate and contribute to technical discussions around regulatory and liquidity policy areas such as NSFR and LCR and therefore the role provides an opportunity to develop a working knowledge of these areas.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Point of contact for Front Office on all accounting-related matters in the region. Particular emphasis on assisting the Front Office in structuring complex financial transactions addressing both Nomura and client commercial accounting / financial resource implications
- Provide guidance and support to the reporting teams on the interpretation of existing and future accounting requirements
- Liaison with the Global Head and also Accounting Policy Groups in Japan, Americas and Asia Ex-Japan to ensure global consistency in application of accounting policies within the European region.
- Documentation of policies, interpretations and provision of training sessions on Accounting topic areas
- Provide written interpretations of US GAAP, IFRS and UK GAAP issues including development and maintenance of a suite of policy documents
- Liaise with wider stakeholders across business areas, Risk, Controllers and Legal to develop appropriate requirements and solutions.
- Liaison with regional auditors on resolution of accounting issues.
Accounting and Regulatory Change
- Analysis of new Accounting and Leverage ratio related requirements
- Distribution of UK GAAP and IFRS technical updates to Finance and other relevant members of staff
- Represent the firm's views and participate with industry forums in order to achieve consistency
- Coordinate impact assessments of new accounting updates and the impact on the firm and communicate to relevant local and global senior management forums
- Document interpretations and policies for existing and new accounting and regulatory requirements
- Work with the reporting and project teams to ensure accounting and regulatory change projects are delivered in line with the requirements
Secondary responsibilities will include:
Providing input through technical research on regulatory and liquidity policy matters
Participate in ad hoc Finance initiatives and projects.
Key objectives critical to success:
- Ability to immediately contribute to the team's agenda and priorities
- Ability to work to high degree of accuracy with logical and structured approach
- Ability to self-review, identify issues and investigate / escalate appropriately
- Flexibility and the ability to keep pace with ever changing regulatory landscape
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with colleagues and senior management and build
- relationships within the department, across functions and across regions
Skills, experience, qualifications and knowledge required:
- Experience of working within a similar technical function in particular experience of advising on complex transactions gained either from another investment bank or within the financial services technical advisory function of a large accounting firm.
- Strong product knowledge across a variety of asset classes.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Project management and organisational skills including taking ownership for key policy related change projects as well as managing a variety of stakeholders across the firm
- Qualified accountant (ACA/CIMA/ACCA).
- PC Literate (Excel, Word etc.)