Assistant Quantity Surveyor – Birmingham – Rail
The Exciting Opportunity:
If you’re an assistant level Quantity Surveyor with proven NEC experience and ambitious to achieve your career potential, read on.
Join our Birmingham team and we’ll make sure you get the experience and personalised learning support you need to take your career to the next level and as far as you want it to go.
We are seeking to recruit an ambitious Assistant Quantity Surveyor to support our Rail team in the Birmingham region. It is intended that the role will offer you the opportunity to progress your career as your experience grows within our business.
Our team is involved in some of the UK’s most complex and stimulating projects that are diverse and technically demanding. We have an enviable reputation in the delivery of such schemes.
Overview of Role:
To provide competent internal Commercial Management of the Design Services Contract (NEC3 PSC – heavily modified) between 6 Parties. Working with the team, you shall be heavily involved in the commercial management of the NCE early warning and change processes.
Essential Quantity Surveying experience for this Project:
Reporting to a Senior surveyor you will assist and be responsible for timely provision of required information including;
- Responsible for liaising with all external and internal stakeholders to enable the projects to progress without delay, ensuring that all reasonable requests are met in a timely efficient manner.
Work with Cost Consultants working on similar packages for the client to share best practice and lessons learnt.
Assist and prepare recommendations for interim payments to suppliers in accordance with contract requirements and produce payment certificates for sign off by the appropriate Project Manager
Assist cost and expenditure planning / benchmarking (including the completion of Data Capture Analysis (DCA) sheets) in accordance with client process.
Support cost management, trending estimating and forecasting to the project.
Analyse cost performance data and provide relevant input for monthly performance reports.
Assist Project Managers in the preparation of cost reports and analysis on a Work Breakdown Structure /Activity basis, identifying areas of learning and any recommendations for efficiency improvement.
Assist in the Financial monitoring and reporting on all projects in the package, including monthly tracking of costs against approved values, actual costs and current forecasts, submission to the client team and dealing with queries
Assist in commercial management of the NCE early warning and change processes.
To assist in the preparation and verification of pricing models from first principals for projects of moderate complexity, and can obtain, extract and use existing target price / fixed rates, together with obtaining cost data from industry recognised publications e.g. SPONS & BCIS to price schemes.
Able to assist in the preparation of activity schedules, bills of quantities in accordance with methods of measurement, presentation of tender and contract documentation, attending interviews, carrying out full tender analysis and comparisons through to preparing the recommendation report.
Manages current workload in order that all commissions receive the relevant allocation of own time to efficiently commercially manage them.
Liaise with the project managers to review and update the risk registers aligned with any early warnings.
Assist in identifying principal risks and opportunities, raises, addresses and resolves problems at a project level and supports the project delivery team, maintain a schedule of potential financial implications for the various projects.
What You have to Offer:
Assisting the project QS in administering high value, multi-disciplinary construction project work packages / contracts utilising forms of contract such as the NEC3 suite.
- Demonstrate a track record of working to standard quantity surveying processes to facilitate a common approach within the team
- A solid understanding of NEC3 procedures and timescales
- Proven experience in the management of the contract change processes in a timely manner
- Understanding of various civil engineering disciplines such as earthworks, bridges, tunnels
- Degree qualified in quantity surveying or other relevant business discipline.
- Professional qualification and/or membership of the RICS or other relevant Chartered Institute would be an additional advantage.
- Comfortable communicating with all levels of Management and Stakeholders
- Good level of analytical skills to make informed, balanced commercial decisions and reporting findings back to Line Manager.
ARCADIS is the leading global natural and built asset design and consultancy firm working in partnership with our clients to deliver exceptional and sustainable outcomes through the application of design, consultancy, engineering, project and management services. ARCADIS differentiates through its talented and passionate people and its unique combination of capabilities covering the whole asset life cycle, its deep market sector insights and its ability to integrate health, safety and sustainability into the design and delivery of solutions across the globe. We are 28,000 people that generate €2.5 billion in revenues. We support UN-Habitat with knowledge and expertise to improve the quality of life in rapidly growing cities around the world. Please visit: www.arcadis.com
Arcadis UK now incorporates the Hyder and EC Harris brands.
What We Offer:
We offer a dynamic challenging job with international focus in a pleasant working climate, attention to education and a competitive remuneration package reflecting the seniority of the role. You will have a great deal of responsibility with endless opportunity for impact and freedom for initiatives. Given the international spread of the business a certain level of flexibility in working hours is important.
We offer a fantastic working environment where you own your destiny and will be encouraged to forge a successful career. In addition, we offer some excellent benefits, such as:
- For some levels, PMI and Income Protection is paid for
- Highly competitive salary
- Annual holiday allowance, plus the option to buy and sell
- One of the best contributory pensions in the industry, Matched pension, up to 8%
- Interest free Season Ticket Loan
- Annual Professional Subscription Paid
- Life Assurance
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Long Term Service Awards
- Discretionary Bonus
- Refer a Friend Scheme that rewards you for every successful introduction you make
- Opportunity to invest in the Arcadis staff discounted share scheme