Howard Kennedy are an approachable, professional, commercial and responsive law firm providing excellent value and support to our clients, both domestic and international.
This role is based within our Employment team and involves a variety of work advising employers and senior executives from a range of sectors, with a focus on restaurants, retail, real estate and professional services businesses and financial services, including ones with international reach.
Tasks and responsibilities
Acting for clients on strategic, contentious, non-contentious and advisory UK employment law matters including:
- Advising on the employment aspects of M&A transactions on deals of including large, complex, multi-jurisdictional deals for global companies to small domestic transactions and commercial property deals.
- Managing the full scope of employment related transactional work, including due diligence, drafting employment provisions, calculating employment related liabilities, and advising on benefits, incentives and bonus arrangements.
- Working with businesses to successfully navigate the post transactional period, including standardising employment contracts and managing redundancies, restructurings and dismissals.
- Negotiating senior level exits/retentions.
- Drafting and advising on the enforcement of post termination restrictions, warranties and indemnities.
- Securing employee business confidentiality and customer information protection, and enforcement of post-termination restrictions including fiduciary obligations
- Managing redundancy and reorganisation programmes
- Cross-jurisdictional workforce projects implementation
- Board level rights and directors' duties and advising on director and shareholder disputes.
- Advising financial services clients on remuneration packages, the scope and application of SMCR, conduct rule breaches, fitness and propriety findings and regulatory references.
- Employment contract, service agreement and policy preparation
- Worker status and atypical workers' rights advice
- Disciplinary and grievance guidance
- Capability and employee ill-health absence management
- Pay, bonus, incentives and remuneration rights
- Discrimination and harassment rights
- Dismissal and employment termination
- Statutory rights and enforcement in Employment Tribunals, including whistleblowing claims
- Working with and providing colleagues with appropriate support in the provision of such advice to clients
- Actively improving own knowledge and expertise in all areas of employment law and participating in and contributing to departmental training
- Contributing to marketing and business development initiatives of team and firm
- Previous non-contentious, contentious and advisory employment experience
- A focus on employment aspects of transactional work, including advising owners/C-suite
- Ability to manage own caseload
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of the team and wider firm, as required
- Experience of advising Financial Services clients is desirable
- Strong intellectual, strategic and analytical abilities.
- Strong interest in employment law practice.
- Must be commercial, pragmatic, and proactive in approach.
- Strong team focus, working with and encouraging a collaborative approach.
- Strong client focus with the ability to create and maintain excellent client relationships.
- Providing a consistently exceptional and bespoke client experience by working with an innovative approach and striving for continuous improvement.
- Must have the potential to provide advice to clients at all levels of seniority in a clear and confident manner and via all means of communication.
- Confident in managing clients' expectations, deals effectively with issues and promotes a feeling of client satisfaction.
- Enthusiastic about being an ambassador for the firm and actively encourages firm-wide development of business across departments.
- Demonstrates a considered approach to risk management, actively promoting a culture of risk awareness and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Compliant in all respects with the firm's time recording computerised system and arranging for billing and proper case handling and management of files.
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual holiday
- Permanent Health Insurance
- Life Assurance
- Interest free Season Ticket Loan
- Private Healthcare
- Pension Scheme
- Staff Introductory Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme