HMRC is building a modern, digital tax administration and runs the biggest digital operation in Government, providing digital services for 45 million individuals and 4.9 million business customers. We’re one of the country’s largest employers, with around 65,000 people working across the UK.
This role sits within The Chief People Office (CPO) which is a customer group within HMRC. The function that you will work within is a newly formed team and it's an opportunity to play a key role in shaping and improving the experience of colleagues to achieve our strategic ambition of making HMRC a ‘Great Place to Work’.
Through the vision of a 5-year HR process and tech roadmap, we have ambitious plans to transform HR services with simpler processes and intuitive digital systems. This will enable colleagues in HMRC to have a straightforward and effortless experience when managing their working lives.
This is a role rich in opportunity and challenge for people passionate about improving the employee experience in HMRC and how we deliver HR as a digital service. You’ll join the team at a time of considerable and exciting transformational change.
• Carry out investigative work into problems and opportunities, driving the analysis and collection of information and
applying digital understanding for process improvements.
• Work with colleagues and collaborate across the organisation to improve process and share best practice.
• Analyse sophisticated and complex information and use it to produce user centred solutions.
• Work alongside user researchers and represent users internally, understanding the difference between user needs and
desires, championing research to ensure inclusive services are delivered.
• Understand technical and business requirements and translate these into user narrative and/or IT specifications.
• Identify options for potential solutions and assess them for both technical and business impacts.
• Collaborate closely with key individuals and teams during the project lifecycle.
• Participate in end-to-end product testing and quality assurance to ensure the desired outcomes have been delivered.
• Support any Show and Tells or project delivery meetings/boards to provide updates and discuss key deadlines.
• Produce consistent and high-quality outcomes whilst in a fast-paced environment.
• Flag risks or blockers in advance.
• Participate in retrospectives and lessons learnt sessions throughout design and implementation of the product.
• Have a passion to think differently by challenging the norm and encouraging others to do the same through facilitating
positive culture of trust and integrity.
In this dynamic environment you will:
• Investigate problems by using business analysis tools to build and create solutions.
• Have a solid grasp of ITIL, Agile and DevOps methodologies.
• Use your business improvement experience and proficiency to identify and implement opportunities to
improve services and processes.
• Influence stakeholders and manage relationships effectively. You will build long-term strategic relationships
through clearly and regular communication, leading others to innovate in their work as well as enabling
them to innovate on their own.
• Collaborate with user researchers through a strong user focus. You understand the difference between the
needs and desires of users and you will champion user research to focus on inclusivity for all. You can
prioritise and define approaches to understand the user story, and guide others in doing so.
You will need to demonstrate the following experience and capabilities in your application.
• Clear experience of using established Business Analysis tools and techniques to model complex processes/procedures, for
driving transformational change.
• Excellent communications skills and lateral thinking, with the ability to conceptualise, visualise and document user and business
• A solid grasp of the ‘consumer’ perspective – you’ll know what users expect from services what they’ll need. An ability to look
holistically at the end-to-end interactions between users and HR as a service provider.
• Previous experience of process improvement which enhances the employee experience within an organisation
• Experience of improving or delivering an HR digital system to an organisation.
• Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team and collaborative environments with demonstrable skills in maintaining
effective performance in complex and challenging and ambiguous circumstances.
• You will ideally have experience of gathering requirements, producing specifications and carrying out delivery planning and
• Experience in project frameworks such as ITIL, Prince2 and Agile PM.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Changing and Improving
Communicating and Influencing
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process: