Academic Health Solutions (AHS) is a high-end international advisory start-up company committed to helping clients advance population health and wealth. Incorporated in 2014, the company draws on its extensive International Advisory Panel to assist the optimal development of academic health science systems and healthcare and life sciences innovation clusters and their component activities - research, clinical education, innovation and enterprise, and patient care. Our approach is characterised by a deep understanding of the client’s context and aspirations, bespoke solutions informed by genuinely expert advice backed by analytics, and plans that are co-developed with the client to ensure ownership and facilitate implementation.
We are increasingly working with both major and niche consultancies who partner with us on large programmes to access the specialist expertise and profound knowledge of this sector that we possess.
In our relatively brief history we have served regional governments, leading universities, academic health partnerships and healthcare industries. Our client base is truly international including Australia, Canada, China, Hong Kong, UK and mainland Europe. Case studies of some of our recent commissions can be found at our website.
An ambitious company with proven capacity to deliver we now seek the appointment of a Business Manager to help us grow the business and play a key role as we progress beyond start-up mode.
Role: Reporting directly to the Executive Chairman, Professor Sir John Tooke, the successful candidate(s) will be involved in:
Business Management and Contract delivery
- Working with senior academic leaders to assist them in winning and delivering new contracts; drafting proposals against tender specifications, liaising with International Advisory Panel members and partner consultancies to secure their engagement as appropriate
- Leading on contracting and project management of live contracts, overseeing staff officers engaged on projects
- Assisting in the development of analytic tools and their use (training in sophisticated academic analytics provided)
- Overseeing marketing efforts and website development and maintenance
- Ensuring good governance (budgetary oversight, accounting returns, information governance and security) in pursuit of best business practice
- Liaising with consultancies with which AHS partners and our Senior Advisers and ambassadors to generate new leads and contracts
- Contributing to the development of analytic tools to support the Company’s main business offers
Panel member liaison
- Liaising with International Advisory Panel members and Affiliated Providers to sustain engagement and commitment to the company’s business objectives
- Commercial experience with significant exposure to consultancy in the health service and/or life sciences sectors
- Credible to senior academic experts, health service and industry leaders
- Track record of having generated business success
- Contracting and project management experience
- Ambitious, high industry, positive self-starter, who is able to perform well outside a large corporate environment
- Adept at initiating but also working as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal and IT skills and written and verbal communication
- Higher degree in health or life sciences
- Experience of working with senior academics, ideally in a consultancy service capacity
Terms and Conditions
Annual salary in the range of £60 - 80k, pro-rata in relation to time commitment (minimum half-time), commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus performance-related pay. In addition, private healthcare, generous pension scheme and other benefits are provided.
As the business expands there will be the opportunity to increase hours for the successful candidate.
It is envisaged that in future the majority of work will be conducted remotely but travel to the London-based headquarters and project sites in the UK and occasionally internationally may be necessary.