Clerk of Works / Quality Inspector / Assistant Project Manager - London
The Exciting Opportunity:
If you are a Quality Inspector / Clerk of Works who wants to progress in a career that plays to your strengths, keep reading.
Join our London team as a Quality Inspector and you will discover a culture focused on helping you flourish as a professional, not on squeezing you into a corporate box. In this role, you will provide Quality Inspectors services to high profile public and private sector clients and will also assist in Project Management activities that will offer the opportunity to progress your career as your experience grows
We are seeking to locate a career minded Quality Inspector to support our Buildings sector working across residential, commercial and education projects.
Overview of Role:
You will be responsible for providing Quality Inspectors services but will have the adaptability, capability and drive to act as an Assistant Project Manager in support of our PM Team in achieving service excellence and positive outcomes for our clients; showing high levels of technical capability, sound commercial knowledge and a good understanding of the key drivers or cost and value; capturing and sharing knowledge and driving innovation in service. Successful candidates will be presented with a great opportunity for career progression into Project Management.
Join the team and you will work alongside professionals from a mix of backgrounds, including design, architecture, town planning and construction, all committed to delivering for clients. You will be given roles that let your play to your strengths and will get the support you need to flourish professionally.
General QI Activities:
• To act as a QI on site for and on behalf of Arcadis, using best endeavours at all times, being professional and of smart appearance.
• To fully comprehend the detailed requirements of all drawings and specifications.
• To visit on a daily basis properties as directed by the Project Manager in order to:-
• Check that the works are being carried out in accordance with the drawings and specification.
• Monitor quality of materials and workmanship on a package specific basis.
• Liaise with all contractors, and resolve swiftly technical queries, problems, etc. that may arise.
• Carry out spot checks on installations.
• Try to anticipate and foresee difficulties on site and advise the Project Manager in good time so that the necessary instructions can be issued.
• Take photos of works where necessary to record good practice, condition, events or deviations from the drawings and specification in order to evaluate the contractors on site performance.
• Provide a progress and inspection report (with photos if necessary) on a weekly basis.
• Ensure a paper audit trail for all VO’s through to the Contract Administrator/QS.
• Attend when necessary contractors meetings held with the Project Manager.
• Ensure that all correspondence is filed in accordance with Arcadis QA procedures.
• Ensure all Gas Safe and NICEIC certificates are received from the relevant contractors and handed to the Project Manager.
• Notify the Project Manager in good time so that the issue of Practical Completion Certificates can be implemented.
• At the end of the defects period inspect properties, prepare a schedule of making good works for notification to the Contractor. Ensure all works are completed satisfactorily so that a Certificate of Making Good Defects can be issued
QI Skills / Experience Required
• Ability to working using own initiative.
• Have an understanding of the Housing Corporation ‘Design and Quality Standards’ (D&QS), April 2007
• Have an understanding of the National Housing Federation (NHF) ‘Standards and Quality in Development – A Good Practice
• Be knowledgeable of current Building Regulations.
• Have an understanding of the National Housing Federation (NHF) ‘Standards and Quality in Development – A Good Practice Guide’ and in accordance with essential items of Part C ‘The Internal Environment’.
• Be knowledgeable of current Codes of Practice, British Standards and other documents published by the BSI i.e. BS 8000 ‘Workmanship On Building Sites’
• To be tenacious.
• Ability to relate to residents.
• Ability to negotiate a compromise rather than confrontation.
• Attention to detail.
• Sound knowledge of construction
• Experience of site meetings
• Site inspection and writing reports
• Experience in mechanical and electrical installations
• Good working knowledge of computers being both Word and Excel literate
Assistant PM Activities
• Assist and undertake day to day delivery of projects
• Undertake contact administration activities
• Review of project documentation, programmes, master budget etc.
• Maintain a robust document management system
• Produce of reports to suit relevant stages of the projects
• Compliance with Arcadis governance
• Deliver projects with the framework of risk, sustainability and environmental considerations agreed at the business case/client brief stage, while maintaining focus on time, cost and quality.
• Monitor and report on the contractors progress against the contract programme
• Assist in the management of consultant teams to ensure that the contractor’s design is done in compliance with the contract
• Assist in the management of consultant teams to ensure that the built product is compliant with the contract.
• Utilise Sector specific market, client and Built Asset know how (Insight)
What You have to Offer:
• Demonstrable track record of working in the commercial/residential sector with relevant experience
• A Professional qualification at appropriate level is preferable.
• Ability to interface with clients
• Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams
• Ability to articulate current issues specific to the project.
• High quality oral and written communications (reports, instructions etc.)
• Good people management and leadership skills
• Experience of producing reports on a monthly basis relating to project deliverables
• Pro-active approach - able to identify areas of need and to manage outputs
• Good organisational skills and attention to detail
• Ideally experience to include some of:
• Interpretation of contracts, design and implementation of change management, resolution of contractual disputes, design and implementation of project controls, contract correspondence and financial close out of contracts.
• Knowledge and use of document management systems to aid efficient service delivery.
• Experience of programme interpretation and client reporting
We’re hard to pin down as a business. But while our work spans many disciplines - from consultancy to engineering and architecture to cost management, it’s united under a common vision. We see people where others see projects, and we recognise that when we design environments we impact lives. We’re here to show the magnitude of that opportunity to the world. To bring it to life for our clients and the customers they serve.
A career for the big thinkers:
Our vision needs people who see the bigger picture. Who bring their expertise to life with spark and imagination. And see possibility where others see limits.
Finally - and most importantly - you’ll be offered an environment where you can go anywhere. A highly competitive remuneration package; a pension scheme that matches up to 8%; the best development programmes in the industry; and a working culture where you can finally put your ideas and potential into practice.
At Arcadis, we trust our teams to create their own work-life balance. It means we always welcome people who want or need a flexible career. We’re proud of the diverse ways of working that thrive in our community as a result.
We believe that by working together diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative ideas. Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the heart of how we improve quality of life and we work closely with our people across six ED&I Workstreams: Age, Disability, Faith, Gender, LGBT+ and Race. A diverse and skilled workforce is essential to our success.
If that speaks to you, talk to us!