This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-growing social enterprise. You will be responsible for inspiring individual parents and organisation leaders to apply to our award-winning Fellowship Programme. You will do this by executing the communication plans you have created, developing relationships with partners to share our Fellowship e.g. via their channels where appropriate, and being the lead person in our team on social media and creating written communications. You will write media materials and maintain our digital communications platforms. Through your communications work, you will help us to ensure everything we do contributes to us creating a community of change-makers.
You have worked in a communications environment before and are someone who would enjoy working in a start-up social enterprise. You are ready to get stuck in anything that helps the aims of the social enterprise, even if that sometimes includes getting involved in things outside traditional communications work. You want this job because you care deeply about supporting parents to achieve their most ambitious career ambitions, as that’s essential to achieve true gender equality at the top.
- Growing our audience/following/mailing lists on our website, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter
- Developing and executing social media and digital communication plans, ensuring consistency and professionalism in our messaging and branding
- Developing mutually beneficial relationships with aligned partner organisations and networks who will help us reach the target audience.
- Maintaining Leaders Plus website www.leadersplus.org.uk (WordPress)
- Creating engaging and accessible content for email and social media campaigns
- Increase and enhance engagement and interactions with our key stakeholders through social media channels (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn)
- Developing promotional communication materials such as leaflets and case studies
- Building and distributing newsletters amongst our target groups, creating and sourcing content that is interesting to our audience
- Creating and maintaining an editorial calendar for a range of marketing campaigns and projects
- Overseeing the setup and promotion of online events and webinars that serve to grow and engage our audience and client base
- Increasing the listener figures of our podcast and leading its administration including uploading the podcast on the relevant website and creating audiograms and other promotional materials
- Reporting to Programme Director/CEO on the impact of communications activity at regular intervals including social media metrics and website analytics
- Creating opportunities for Leaders Plus to share thought leadership through:
- Support with copy writing content where needed.
- Building relationships with journalists
- Finding speaking opportunities for the team
- Supporting the Programme Director with reaching out to employers
- Fielding media enquiries and identifying PR opportunities
Essential Technical Skills:
- Superb written communication skills to clearly convey the value of the Leaders Plus Fellowship Programme to both its recipients and funders.
- Experienced copywriter for a variety of mediums including websites, newsletters, social media and other marketing materials.
- Expert use of Mailchimp or another online mailing platform
- Demonstrable experience managing social media platforms including planning content, campaigns and using scheduling software.
- Good Wordpress content management skills
- Data analytics and reporting such as Google Analytics
- Ability to create basic videos and audiograms for podcast promotion.
- Computer literate particularly on Microsoft Office
- Basic video editing skills
- Basic image editing
- PR experience
- Knowledge and/or experience of social enterprise or small business start-ups
- Understanding of our target audience and the barriers and challenges they face.
- Design skills and a good eye for detail to create visually appealing materials.
- Search Engine Optimisation skills
- Familiarity with design applications such as Canva for production of simple marketing materials
- Familiar with Hootsuite or another social media scheduler
- Basic HTML/CCS
- Solutions focussed, entrepreneurial, resourceful, and adaptable.
- Results orientated and excellent at prioritising your workload.
- Friendly and professional.
- Highly organised, able to prioritise a varied and fast paced workload and deliver to deadlines.
- Good at managing own workload and separating important from nice to have tasks.
- A self-starter, able to work autonomously and to make decisions.
- A team player committed to working collaboratively to achieve results.
- Passion and interest in work that promotes and drives social change related to Gender Equality.
- Clear interest in supporting working parents to achieve their career ambitions.
Please do apply even if you don‘t fulfil all criteria – some of our strongest applications in the past have been from surprise candidates!
General Leaders Plus core competencies:
- Results orientation
- Striving for excellence
- Activating leadership in others
- Continuous learning
- Planning and organising
- Problem Solving
Alignment with the Leaders Plus principles.
Who are we?
Founded in 2017, Leaders Plus is an award-winning social enterprise dedicated to supporting leaders with babies and young children to progress their leadership careers. Too often, parents feel they have to choose between being a good parent and a fulfilling leadership career, we exist to change this. Through our award-winning Fellowship Programme we have supported over 150 Fellows helping them navigate this life-changing phase of their career ensuring they continue to thrive and progress in leadership roles.
We are part of Cambridge University Social Ventures and have won the 50 New Radicals Award for our work with the Fellowship Programme. Our Founder has won the Prime Minister’s Points of Lights Award as well as the WeAreTheCity Award for her work setting up Leaders Plus. Our social enterprise is at a crucial stage of growth and this role will be critical in helping us to scale further. You will join a small team consisting of Verena Hefti (CEO and Founder), Lyndsey Ng, (Programme Officer) and Laura Boyle (Programme Director).
About the Leaders Plus Fellowship Programme
- The Leaders Plus Fellowship is an award-winning, evidence-informed programme designed to support talented individuals to stay on the leadership pipeline and continue to develop their careers while enjoying their young families.
- The aims of the Fellowship are to:
- A) support parents with young children to develop and progress their careers and
- B) support them to become part of a positive movement for change so all parents can progress to leadership roles.
- The Fellowship offers access to a cross-sector peer network, career acceleration workshops rooted in research about career progression, senior leader mentors, workshops with key supporters (e.g. their line manager and their partner if applicable) and support to drive change within their organisation. Fellows can bring along their babies to all sessions. The programme is open to all genders.
- The Fellowship is funded by employers. 50% of applicants hear about it via word of mouth or social media, the other 50% come from employers who put their parents forward.
- Fellows come from a range of sectors including organisations such as HSBC, the NHS, the BBC, London councils as well as charities such as the Salvation Army.
- Find out more about Leaders Plus and the Fellowship online: www.leadersplus.org.uk
Salary: £25-29k FTE pro rata, depending on experience
Contract: 2.5-3 days per week, permanent
Apply: Cover letter (max 2 pages) and CV sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, outlining how you fulfil the key requirements of the role and answering the following two questions:
- What attracted you to apply for this role?
- Why would you be an excellent Communications Officer for Leaders Plus
Location: Any UK location. Open to flexible and remote working. Our co-working space is based in London
Closing date: 20 April, however we may interview and appoint excellent candidates earlier
Ideal start: As soon as possible
Questions to: email@example.com
We are seeking diversity. We want to hear about your experiences and are keen to hear from interested candidates regardless of gender, ethnic background, sexual orientation, disability, or family circumstances etc. It goes without saying that men and women are welcome, and you don’t have to have children to apply.