The Finance Department at Nomura is made up of a close-knit team of around 200 people. We pride ourselves on our professionalism and believe working in such a fast moving industry should be reflected in our departmental culture, dynamic and flexible. This is also shown in our excellent reputation both within the bank and externally.
There are 6 main areas that comprise the department; Financial Reporting and Control, Product Control, Regulatory Risk, Tax, Treasury, and CMA (including MIS).
The role is within the Cost Management & Analytics team, who are responsible for global and regional MIS, as well as robust cost control and analysis for the region. This role involves detailed analysis and reporting of regional performance to senior management in all areas of the firm, with a particular focus on the regional cost base and cost initiatives.
Typical tasks may include, but will not be restricted to, month-end accounting services, including P&L reporting and Balance Sheet control, producing in-depth decision oriented MI, business partnering for the budget and rolling forecasting process, detailed understanding of monthly expenses, partnering and supporting business managers and corporate CAOs and working with teams across the firm, both onshore and offshore to ensure commentary is meaningful and accurate, creating visibility into expense drivers.
The role will require a significant element of ad hoc project and analysis/scenario based work. As part of the role, you may be expected to liaise with various stakeholders and members of MIS teams both here in London and internationally. This includes managing the offshore team, ensuring they deliver their monthly tasks on a timely basis and to a high level of accuracy.
Key objectives critical to success:
Month End Control & Reporting
- To provide key month end accounting services, including control and reporting, on direct & allocated expense base for the European Region
- Key role in ensuring the firms financial books and records are closed on time each month and reflect the Firms position accurately
- Managing Powai offshore team, ensuring they meet required deadlines for various tasks including accruals and prepayments, account reconciliation/verification and control schedules in an accurate and timely manner
- Liaison with other regions to understand / explain various cross-border allocations coming in to the region or being allocated out
- Interrogating numbers with a view to proactively advising the business on monthly performance verus budgets and prior period
Budgeting / Forecasting
- The CMA team are central to both these processes, providing both information and analysis to the Front Office and Corporate
- Continual review of processes and procedures with a view to streamlining or improving efficiency to leave more time for value added analysis
- Regular board and committee papers prepared for the EMEA CFO and, at times, CEO. This includes but is not limited to slides for Regional Board meetings and Remuneration Committee papers
- With this role there are numerous ad hoc tasks which can range from a quick request for numbers to month long scenario analysis projects.
Skills, experience, qualifications and knowledge required
- Strong academic background, ideally degree qualified in a highly numerate subject
- Professional accounting qualification (ACA/ACCA/CIMA or equivalent) is desirable, but not essential
- Experience of calculating accruals and prepayments, as well as a sound understanding of double-entry accounting concepts and cost accounting
- Strong numeracy and analytical skills to actively interrogate and present data in a meaningfull format
- Significant MIS systems and process experience and an understanding of the nature and importance of MIS to various stakeholders
- Advanced Excel essential and PowerPoint knowledge desirable. Knowledge of Hyperion Essbase and other OLAP reporting tools would be an advantage