Apply early, interviews starting soon.
15-20 hours / week, mainly office-based but with flexibility offered to work from home and adjust working hours, for example, between term-time and school holidays.
Reporting to the Head of Finance & Operations, this is a great role for an experienced finance professional looking to work as an integral part of a small but vibrant head office team.
Southern Universities Management Services the company has three divisions: SUMS Consulting, Southern Universities Purchasing Consortium (SUPC) and the Procurement Shared Service (PSS). The three divisions work together and share support services. SUMS have been operating exclusively in the higher education for 50 years and have an unrivalled knowledge of the HE sector. We are a not-for-profit membership organisation - a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee.
SUMS Consulting is a niche management consultancy membership organisation with a strong reputation for the quality and integrity of its work, people and expertise. We provide expert consultancy in all areas of university support and management.
PSS provides specialist procurement support to universities to help them secure best value from their procurement activities. We specialise in developing procurement expertise, influence and performance.
SUPC is a buying organisation for universities and further education colleges that develops and manages framework agreements. Our members have access to over 90 professionally tendered, EU compliant agreements. As well as agreements, members have access to advice and support, expert market knowledge, free supplier credit checking services, spend analysis, special commodity-specific events and training.
- Supporting the 3 divisions of the SUMS Group, duties include overseeing sales & purchase ledgers, bank reconciliations, VAT accounting, credit control, and other tasks performed by the Accounts Assistant
- Calculation, collection and distribution of supplier marketing premiums (rebates) including detailed analysis, reconciliation and reporting
- Assisting in the production of quarterly management accounts, annuals budgets and interim forecasts
- Assisting in the preparation of year-end accounts and the external audit process
- Liaison with outsourced functions (provided by the University of Reading) including Payroll, Pensions and IT
- Assisting with company secretarial duties (experience useful but not essential)
- Assisting with change projects to improve overall efficiency and promote best practice within Finance and the wider Consulting and Procurement teams
- Professional accounting qualification is desirable
- 6+ years’ accounting experience including financial & management accounting
- Intermediate / Advanced Excel skills
- An appreciation of the main statutory and regulatory factors covering company law, charity law, pensions and other legal matters is desirable
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a strong attention to detail
- Self-reliant, mature and a professional approach to work
- Able to organise and prioritise workloads, taking ownership of key deadlines and deliverables
- A proactive problem-solver with a hands-on approach to tackling any issues
- Keen to work as part of a small team of both finance and non-finance staff
Contact us as soon as possible to apply, we would love to hear from you.