Job title: Financial & Regulatory Controller (6 month contract)
Department: EMEA Finance - Financial and Capital Reporting
Nomura is a leading financial services group and the pre-eminent Asian-based investment bank with worldwide reach. Nomura provides a broad range of innovative solutions tailored to the specific requirements of individual, institutional, corporate and government clients through an international network in over 30 countries. Based in Tokyo and with regional headquarters in Hong Kong, London, and New York, Nomura employs over 27,000 staff worldwide. Nomura's unique understanding of Asia enables the company to make a difference for clients through three business divisions: Retail, Asset Management, and Wholesale (Global Markets and Investment Banking).
The role is within the Corporate Reporting and Control (CR&C) group within Finance, which comprises a close-knit team of around 60 people. There are 3 main teams which cover: Financial Control, Regulatory Control and Finance Resource Management. These teams are supported by Accounting Policy and Regulatory Policy teams who sit alongside and are on hand to assist
Finance and Capital Reporting is a key component of the Finance Department, which has an excellent reputation within the bank and externally. We pride ourselves on our professionalism within a Department with a culture that encourages dynamism and flexibility.
Senior management takes a hands-on approach within the department, and is keen to reward hard work, enthusiasm and success. A willingness to constantly question established processes, and strive for improvements is actively encouraged, leading to an ever changing and exciting environment. Nomura presents a unique opportunity to learn and gain experience of a broad range of products and business lines within a supportive setting and surrounded by skilled professionals.
The role is in the Financial and Capital Reporting department of Nomura's Finance Division, taking responsibility for running processes and projects which underpin the internal Regulatory Reporting of the European consolidation group (including the main broker dealer, Nomura International plc). It will include working with colleagues in Mumbai, London and Tokyo.
The role will encompass delivery of new regulatory and reporting requirements applicable for European entities as per upcoming cross border US (SEC and CFTC) regulations. This includes development of new reporting processes & governance framework and supporting the automation of these where possible.
Reporting responsibilities will include a variety of the below tasks:
- Assisting with implementation of new regulatory and reporting requirements
- Assisting with return production & sign off process
- Preparation and coordination of sign offs with senior management
- Responding to business / management driven queries & requests
There will also be the opportunity to implement new processes as the regulatory landscape continues to change. The individual will be expected to support the teams strategic and ongoing change requirements such as
- Assisting implementation of new regulation impacting the team by working with IT and Change teams to deliver ideal solutions
- Ensuring control environment is robust and implementing ongoing enhancements and improvement
- Enhancing controls through supporting automation initiatives and reducing manual spreadsheets
The role will be challenging and will provide a variety of responsibilities covering technical, process & interpersonal perspectives. It will be an excellent opportunity to further develop knowledge of Financial and Regulatory Reporting providing a deep insight into Financial & Capital positions of EMEA entities
Key objectives critical to success:
- Ability to work to high degree of accuracy with logical and structured approach
- Ability to self-review, identify issues and investigate / escalate appropriately
- Flexibility and the ability to keep pace with ever changing International and UK regulatory capital rules, and resulting change to business processes
- Ability to embrace new technology and adapt to changing business processes
- Ability communicate effectively with colleagues and build relationships within the department and across functions
Skills, experience, qualifications and knowledge required:
- US Reporting production experience in an investment bank or other relevant experience is desirable but not essential
- Chartered Accountant (CIMA, ACCA, ACA or equivalent)
- Experience of design and implementation of processes and controls for Prudential/Financial reporting
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) and control minded focus
- Results focused in a pressurised environment with tight reporting deadlines
- Organised and methodical with attention to detail
- Well-developed PowerPoint and Excel skills. Additional knowledge of data transformation/visualisation tools also useful (e.g. Tableau/Alteryx) but not essential
- Investment banking product knowledge