Richard Brendon Ltd, an internationally celebrated tableware brand, is seeking a part time Financial Controller to run the finance operations as the business expands. Based in West London with flexibility as to how the 3 days/week are split regarding hours and homeworking.
Richard Brendon launched in 2013 to create contemporary and timeless tableware, produced entirely by master craftspeople around the world. We’re on a mission to keep their skills alive for the next generation.
At Richard Brendon, we always seek out the finest materials and work with highly skilled craftspeople to produce pieces of exceptional quality. We care deeply about the provenance of our products and are committed to working with, and supporting, the heritage craft industries that make them. All of our ceramics are hand-made in Stoke-on-Trent and our crystal is mounth-blown in Slovenia. By bringing together contemporary design and traditional craftsmanship, we believe it is possible to create timeless collections.
We work with some of the leading hotels, restaurants, retailers and interior designers around the world to bring modern and progressive bone china and crystal glassware to a whole new audience.
Richard Brendon is a high growth business, with growth in revenue from £200k in 2016 to over £1m in 2019. We are planning to keep growing, as we launch new products and into new geographies. The last year has been an exciting year for finance with the implementation of a new ERP system (SAP Business One) and successfully completing a round of financing through the crowdcube platform. By 2026 Richard Brendon aims to turnover £8 - £10m, with net profit of £1.2 to £2m.
You will be the key day-to-day finance contact and business support for the team, working closely with the whole team. You will need to have a strong grasp of all areas of the business, with special focus on the commercials, forecasting and cash.
This is a hands-on role and will entail month end journals and ledger closes; regular cashflows; managing the sales and operations forecasts; budgets; superuser for the ERP system; year-end accounts; - basically, you will be running the finances for a small business with the support of a bookkeeper. We currently have a bookkeeper who manages the ledgers including posting & paying invoices, online sales reconciliations and the monthly bank reconciliation.
There is ample potential to grow the role as the business grows, and we want to hire someone excited to join us on this fast-paced journey.
This is a 3 day/week role, with flexibility over hours and potential to work from home. We will require a minimum of 1 day/week in the office as this role needs to interact with the whole business.
YOUR KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY WILL BE:
- Forecasting and ordering: Taking the lead on supply chain forecasting, working with both Sales and Ops to ensure optimal stock holdings are maintained
- Pricing and margins: Play a key role in pricing decisions especially in the launch of new products bringing together negotiations on production costs, reviewing competitor pricing and ultimately our margins achieved. Additionally you will review production costs and margins for existing collections working with RB, the design manager and suppliers to create plans to reduce production costs and increase margins
- Cashflow forecasting including managing funding relationships
- Ad hoc support providing financial insights to help with effective commercial decision making.
- Managing budget & re-forecasting processes for both sales & costs
- SAP B1 (ERP system) is now implemented. The FC will be the super user for the business, look for how the system can be used for financial insight to support commercial decision & improve reporting
- Month end journals, close and reporting, both for the UK and US companies
- Ensure all regulatory filings are made both in the UK & the US, including VAT returns
- Quarterly advisory board meetings: You will be required to prepare financial data for, and to attend, advisory board meeting.
- Reviewing financial controls to ensure they are appropriate & adequate as the business grows.
- Debtor management.
- Managing the bookkeeper and Supply Chain Manager.
EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
- ACA Qualification
- At least 2 years post-qualification experience in an in-house finance role, involving month end close, forecasts/ budgets and interaction with non-finance staff
- Experience managing AP/AR teams and processes
- Experience in a manufacturing or business with inventory an advantage
- Strong Excel skills and previous use of SAP B1 an advantage
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to translate financial jargon into plain English
- Problem solver, creative thinker, resilient mindset
- Company secretarial/ regulatory experience an advantage
WHY WORK FOR RB?
- Fast paced entrepreneurial environment where you will see your actions growing and developing the business. Your actions will be implemented fast as there are not multiple layers of bureaucracy and red tape
- Fast growing start-up, expanding via new products and geographies
- Fast growing team and opportunity to manage others and become part of senior management as the business grows
- Relaxed work environment
- We have amazing customers, we work with many of the best hotels, restaurants and retailers in the world. Customers include: The Four Seasons, Harrods, The Conran Shop, etc.
- Competitive salary with performance-based incentives
- Generous staff discount
- Holiday days 23 increasing 1 day per year until it reached 25 (FTE), plus Bank Holidays.
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Social activities
- Long Service Awards - at 3, 5 & 10 years
- Flexible working hours and work from home