Role: Financial Director
Reporting to: Board of Directors
Salary: £80,000 (negotiable based on experience)
Location: The Rumi Foundation Head Office, Westminster, London
About The Rumi Foundation:
Founded by Lord Rumi Verjee in 2006, we are family foundation that focuses on social mobility through education, innovation and entrepreneurship. The Rumi Foundation supports a range of inspirational initiatives which include amongst others, The Obama Foundation, DNRC, WE, African Prisons Project and Ditch the Label. We seek to contribute our global network, the freedom to take risks and, when required, the funding necessary to enable our partners the opportunity to create or further develop genuinely impactful social change and results.
The Rumi Foundation has built and manages a sizable endowment which includes a £100m design led property portfolio in London, generating an income of £5m per annum together with capital growth. We are always looking for strategic acquisitions to strengthen the endowment and for new investment avenues for the Foundation to diversify its asset base.
We are a very small but highly motivated team and we exist to spark new ideas, to share knowledge and, above all, to make a lasting contribution to our world.
About the Role:
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a high level team and to have a significant input on the direction and success of the Foundation. You will be contributing to the overall strategy of the Foundation, on both the endowment and grant making sides reporting in to the Founder and the Board of Trustees. Your main duties will be:
- Responsible for and managing the entire financial control and accounting processes of the Foundation.
- Preparing monthly management and annual statutory accounts, in conjunction with our auditors for the Foundation’s endowment, whilst identifying and implementing process improvements to enhance the efficiency and accuracy of the account reporting process.
- Responsible for dealing with HMRC VAT returns, payroll, filing annual returns and other documents with Companies House and ensuring that all statutory and other accounting and regulatory requirements (including GDPR) are met.
- Meeting with potential new investment partners and helping to analyse potential new real estate acquisitions and investments for the Foundation.
- Advising the Board on best practice and governance for the Foundation including complying with all necessary Charities Commission requirements.
- Meeting with our current grantees to measure impact for the Foundation and monitor the grantees future developments.
- Meeting with potential new grantees to assess and make recommendations to the Board.
About the Candidate:
You will have previous experience and knowledge of UK charity governance as well as an accounting background. A professional accounting qualification would be preferred but is not essential. Some experience in the property sector would be useful but again is not crucial.
You will be a strong multitasker with the ability to prioritise, be organised and work independently, managing your time effectively.
You will be comfortable navigating complexity, creative in the face of challenge and have outstanding strategic skills.
You will have the ability to provide a high level of both verbal and written communication including analytical presentation for the Board, senior Leadership team and external stakeholders.
You will have an eye for detail with good graphic design and presentation skills.
You will be proficient in accounting software and procedures.
You will be compassionate and reflect the values of the Foundation and the family.
Most importantly you will be motivated to learn, to push yourself and be passionate about giving back.