Fixed Income Product Controller, Associate
Currently several openings within the Product Control function (Analyst - Associate level):
Product Control is a key function within the Finance department, interacting with virtually every part of the firm's businesses, products and technology systems. Product Control is a global function with staff located in London, New York, India and across the Asia Pacific region.
Product Control review and opine on new products and transactions ensuring compliance with accounting, regulatory and valuation guidance and the efficient deployment of the firm's financial resources.
Product Controllers are expected to develop a good understanding of the products they monitor and of the strategies used by the trading desk to generate revenue for Nomura. The function has become increasingly technical in content and offers a challenging and interesting role, suited to dynamic, bright and ambitious individuals with a drive to succeed.
Product Control has a significant presence and role within the organisation. It has a close working relationship with the trading desks, investment bankers and other corporate areas. It is the central point of contact for many issues that affect the firm including new transaction and product approval, understanding business performance and independent price verification and reserving of trading inventory. It operates dynamically with a heavy focus on automation and technology and is involved in numerous cross departmental projects throughout the firm.
Product control management take a hands-on approach to running the department and are keen to reward hard work, enthusiasm and success. They positively promote the need to constantly question and challenge, to strive for improvements and to further your understanding. This leads to an ever changing and exciting environment. Nomura presents a unique opportunity to learn and gain experience of a broad range of products and business lines within a supportive setting and surrounded by skilled professionals. The strong team spirit is encouraged by regular departmental social and team-building events, and an emphasis is placed on achieving a healthy work-life balance.
The controller will oversee credit market making across Developed and Emerging Markets. Product Exposure in Structured Credit includes Credit Default Swaps & Indices, Credit linked notes, Total Return Swaps, Structured Repos and Loans.
Nomura operate a mature offshore PL production model meaning the onshore role focussed on liaison with the business and value-add advisory work. The role of the onshore team spans business advisory, performance analysis, balance sheet substantiation and valuation controls.
The candidate will need to maintain close working relationships with the trading desk and develop a deep understanding of the business' trading strategies to evaluate desk performance and provide insight to the firm's senior management on business performance, challenges and opportunities.
The candidate will have oversight of all Financial resource metrics including RWA, Leverage Exposure & Funding requirements and be expected to provide value add analysis of the usage and returns on resources deployed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to adapt communication styles to deal with a wide ranging audience from offshore PC team to senior Global Markets management.
- The ability to develop collaborative and productive working relationships across functions.
- Planning and organizational skills; executing priority actions on-time, keeping stakeholders updated and managing expectations.
- A demonstrable sense of ownership and a strong control mind-set with initiative to identify and solve problems.
- Results orientated with a clear focus on execution and deliver
Skills, experience, qualifications and knowledge required
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail with analytical capability and a 'can do' attitude.
- Ability to face off with key business stakeholders.
- Self-starter with strong time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Track record of improving controls and processes and adding value to clients/stakeholders.
- Product Control experience with a solid understanding of Credit Products including loans, CDS and repo.
- Product Control experience essential with a track record of improving controls and processes and adding value to clients/stakeholders.
- Accounting qualification and/or numerate degree preferable