Do you want to drive growth in a progressive, low carbon start-up backed by one of the largest district heat providers in Western Europe? If the answer’s yes, keep reading!
Vattenfall Heat UK is bringing a better standard of district heat to the UK. We have already secured major contracts in London and Scotland, and have a healthy pipeline and reputation as the ‘Nordic Disruptor’. Vattenfall is a Swedish-state owned utility and the 5th largest energy company in Europe. We have a clear and uniting purpose to deliver fossil free living for our customers and the societies in which we operate within one generation.
We are seeking an experienced Head of Sales and Marketing to join our team.
About the role:
As our Head of Sales & Marketing you will be responsible for setting our growth strategy and coaching a multidisciplinary team of high performing sales people, and marketing and bidding professionals to deliver a growing pipeline of high-quality project opportunities. The role will encompass the lifecycle of customer engagement from brand, propositions and marketing through the sales cycle to contract close. Working closely with regional teams based in Edinburgh and London responsible for developing the solutions and contract offers and then project delivery, you will ensure that we have a compelling win strategy for every meaningful project and that the business is organised effectively around them.
We are looking for an engaging, communicative leader who is able to embrace our entire go-to-market and growth strategy. You will be inspired by simplifying marketing and sales activity to essential principles and shaping teams and businesses to deliver runaway sales success. You will be an excellent communicator and hugely motivated by coaching and developing your team and the teams around you. Effective in a matrix structure where you need to influence people around you as well as those who work for you, you will be excellent at bringing together people and an inspiring person to work for and with.
About the team:
Vattenfall Heat UK is now in its third year of operating, and comprised of people from all across the energy landscape, who are inspired by setting up something new and bold. From engineers and asset managers to sales leads, administrators and bid managers: the team works collaboratively to make a difference in transforming the market and brings their energy, enthusiasm and new ideas to everything they do.
What will your job entail?
You will be devising and executing the 5-year sales & marketing strategy for Vattenfall Heat UK. For Marketing this would mean the execution of our Marketing Strategy and campaign planning together with your colleagues.
For Sales you would be working on propositions and compelling win strategies together with a small team of experienced sales professionals pursuing complex sales targeting major district heat opportunities where the counterparty is typically a private developer or Local Authority.
If and when necessary you will personally engage on strategic accounts in support of your sales people but not directly owning any relationships yourself.
In addition to this, you will also be responsible for:
• Driving excellent account management plans for existing accounts in partnership with the regions
• Reporting on performance against targets to the rest of the Vattenfall Heat UK leadership team
• Ensuring strong alignment with the regional teams lead by Regional Directors, and supporting in resource and capacity planning
• Reviewing and contributing to complex bids and proposals
• Making the go/no go bid decision and approving projects to progress through the sales pipeline based on their individual merits
• Lobbying and public affairs positions/influencing plans and owning the relationship with the public and regulatory affairs team within Vattenfall.
Requirements and qualifications:
We would love to hear from candidates that meet some (but not necessarily all) of the below:
• Minimum 10-years’ experience in a similar senior role leading complex infrastructure deals valued between £5 – £50m
• Demonstrable track-record of winning work
• Experience managing a team of seasoned sales professionals
• Knowledge and clear demonstrable experience of setting integrated sales and marketing plans
• Experience of briefing and managing delivery of successful marketing campaigns from agencies
• Strong coaching skills.
• Knowledge of ‘consultative-selling, solution-based sales, account-based sales and established methodologies such as Miller-Heiman
• Experience producing complex bids and proposals
• Knowledge of bidding best practice such Shipley and procurement models such as the Competitive Dialogue Process.
• Effective operating within a large organisation.
The location of this position is London or Edinburgh, but home-working is supported.
We actively encourage job-sharers to apply for this role and it is also open as a flexible hours role.
At Vattenfall we believe that the only way to make fossil free living within a generation possible is to power and help manage all energy-aspects of our customers’ lives to create climate smarter living – building by building, district by district, city by city.