Who we are:
The Duchy of Lancaster is a private portfolio of land and property assets held in trust for the British Sovereign. It is an ancient inheritance which began in 1265.
Today the Duchy operates as a modern property and asset management company. With offices in the heart of London’s Savoy estate and Lancaster’s historic Castle we are a small and dynamic team with a flat management structure and a can-do culture. It’s a fun place to work and the diverse nature of the business means that no two days are ever the same. Given our history and unique ownership, our work is extremely rewarding. In many ways, we are shaping tomorrow’s history today.
We are committed to restoring the estate, sustainably growing the business and acting with integrity at all times. Over the last 12 months we have invested significantly in adding new talent and skills to the team so that we can continue to grow and realise our vision for the future.
Who you are:
You will be a qualified solicitor with experience of the property market. Your role will be to provide legal counsel to the team, particularly around the acquisition and disposal of land and property, the preparation and management of leases, oversight of restrictive covenants and the administration of bona vacantia.
You will also have experience of planning and development projects and be able to advise on the preparation of appropriate documentation.
Overall, you will provide strategic advice, guidance and counsel in all legal matters arising from the day-to-day management of the Duchy.
What we need:
• A fully qualified solicitor with a demonstrable track record of providing legal counsel Experience of the property sector – rural, commercial, planning and development (desired)
• A clear communicator, and team player; someone with an energetic flexible and can-do attitude (no silos here!)
• An ability to think critically and put forward creative solutions as appropriate
• A genuine interest in the affairs, history and diverse business units across the Duchy.
What we can offer you:
• An exciting and stimulating role in a dynamic and supportive team
• A chance to use your expertise and experience to make a real difference to a growing business
• The opportunity to develop your knowledge and skills base across a wide range of property sectors
• A warm, friendly, non-sexist, non-hierarchical and non-political working environment
• Flexibility, support, empowerment.
If you’re excited by this and you have the relevant experience, we’d be delighted to hear from you.