We’re here to unite the conditioning community. We believe that putting the sweat in today, prepares us for tomorrow. So, we give people the tools they need to reach further, go faster, be stronger. We celebrate those who show up – for themselves – to be their physical or mental best, whatever that means for them. It’s what we want for our community and our team. A team that’s growing rapidly around the world. A collective of talented individuals working together to invent Gymshark’s future. Our plans are ambitious, and we’re looking for people who want to join us for the ride – our growth will be your growth.
Engineering at Gymshark is growing, massively, and we have huge ambitions! At around 40 engineers (don’t quote us…it’s growing weekly!) and part of the wider Tech team, we have some serious and exciting opportunities ahead. As one of the UK’s fastest-growing companies and being a true global D2C brand through our tech products, Engineering is very much at the forefront of everything we deliver to our passionate community. We are an agile team applying the company’s ethos, ‘Be a visionary’, to the engineering aspect of the business.
As a lead engineer, you will take ownership of the codebases and delivery mechanisms involved in delivering the requirements of the business and; working with agile coaches, to ensure the team lives agile values, engineering principles, and expected standards day-to-day. Whilst the role of a Lead Engineer does not have and people management responsibility, as one of the most senior engineers you’ll play a key role in instilling best practice and influence self-organisation within the delivery team, to ensure team ownership and accountability for committed work.
You may know of us as a Shopify merchant, but we’re so much more. It’s true, we love Shopify and highly value our partnership with them, but we build our own infrastructure and applications and Shopify form part of the wider stack, which relies on the following technologies:
- ReactJS and the React ecosystem
- Swift and Kotlin for Native mobile development
- GoLang for our serverside and serverless applications
- AWS Infrastructure and Terraform for provisioning
- Serverless and Kubernetes for some of our services and pipelines
- Java for our Quality Assurance Automation
Are you our next Lead Android Engineer? Here's the role up close:
- Making a significant contribution to the development of our client-side mobile applications and codebases.
- Building a holistic approach to our whole environment in order to provide sound advice and suggestions to any engineering team.
- Taking a key part in improving and developing technical processes to ease delivery and delivery value quicker.
- Alongside the Engineering Manager, you'll be coaching the capability of more junior engineers to build a highly effective team; handling the complexities and challenges that come from supporting a global, fast-growth organisation.
- Actively encouraging process improvement on a sprint-by-sprint basis through increased team velocity and process changes to the betterment of the team.
- Build and maintain a consistent, clean, and scalable approach to engineering solutions, providing resources and documentation to allow all engineers to build deploy applications within a safe, well-documented, and agile way.
- Ensuring that, as one of the most senior engineers, your approach to solutions and architecture is strategically the right solution for the business and you encourage a group decision.
- Contributes to the engineering strategy applied by tech leaders to our mobile applications and associated tools.
- Strengthens a cross-functional and collaborative environment across product, design, and engineering
- Identifies when change is required and can build a case for change to the Head of and managerial roles.
- Works closely with the operations security and systems teams to apply policies and compliances to our applications and approach through guidelines, standards, and infrastructure.
- Extensive experience in software engineering preferably with a considerable number of those in an Android mobile engineering role.
- Strong experience in Kotlin and the Android ecosystem.
- Must be able to demonstrate experience in building resilient, highly available mobile applications.
- Should have experience in coaching engineering teams in a similar capacity.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Agile practices, values, and their application and delivery.
- Extensive experience with version control systems and centralised code management.
- Intimate knowledge of the mobile development platforms and associated systems.
- Demonstrable knowledge of CI/CD and build pipelines for client-side software.
WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE
- Experience in coaching more junior engineers in a similar capacity.
- The capability to tailor complex messages for different audiences in an appropriate manner to the audience.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with both tech colleagues and the wider business, translating complex technical concepts into simple terms where required.
- Excellent project management, time management, and prioritisation skills.
- Commercial awareness and a creative problem solver with the ability to think laterally and understand the cost and value drivers within a competitive business environment.
- Excellent judgment and analytical skills.
- Keep up to date with external trends and the best practices in software engineering, innovation, and code-based engineering more broadly.