Nomura is a leading financial services group and the preeminent Asian-based investment bank with worldwide reach. Nomura provides a broad range of innovative solutions tailored to the specific requirements of individual, institutional, corporate and government clients through an international network in 30 countries. Based in Tokyo and with regional headquarters in Hong Kong, London, and New York, Nomura employs about 26,000 staff worldwide. Nomura's unique understanding of Asia enables the company to make a difference for clients through five business divisions: domestic retail, global markets, global investment banking, global merchant banking, and asset management. For further information about Nomura, please visit www.nomura.com.
Nomura Asset Management is headquartered in Tokyo but NAM-UK is the largest overseas office. The Risk function provides advice and information to multiple business teams in the UK and several of the Sales and Marketing functions in other International offices.
This role is for a VP level candidate to support the Global Market Risk COO in carrying out responsibilities of operational management and strategic change across Nomura's Market Risk Management division.
The candidate will be tasked with supporting the lead on several areas within the COO space, such as strategic change initiatives, the risk control framework, policy, reporting, data and regulatory initiatives.
Key responsibilities of this role can include:
- Steward the internal governance programme in Market Risk - ensuring completeness, quality of responses and evidence provided, including continuous improvement working with global and regional heads to enhance & strengthen this key control.
- Maintaining an oversight across Risk policies, controls, data and key transformational initiatives.
- Support business leads for Change management project initiatives on behalf of Market Risk COO.
- Ensure general good governance of all market risk audit points including timeliness of updates provided to management forums and committees. Pursue completion of audit related action plans.
- Coordinate and pursue timely updates to all action plans related to Market Risks operational risk register, the opening and closure of risk register items as needed and the timely identification of emerging operational risks across the Market Risk department, especially where related to process, people or platform issues.
- Close interaction with heads of market risk, head of middle office & reporting lead, proactively supporting & contributing to ad-hoc tasks as needed.
The successful candidate will:
- Have good Market Risk domain knowledge
- Be proactive with a hands on approach and 'can-do' attitude
- Have the ability to work well under pressure and multitask
- Have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain constructive working relationships.
- Be able to critically analyse processes, procedures and policies in order to identify, propose and implement necessary enhancements.
- Have strong written, presentation & communication skills. Being able to clearly articulate the key messages to a busy management team is crucial.
- Demonstrate experience of risk management frameworks, including best practise in Risk Appetite, Governance, Policies & Procedures, Limits, Models, Systems & Data, 3 Lines of Defence, and Roles & Responsibilities etc.
The following skills are desirable:
- Have some experience of modern data visualization tools and a familiarity with data modelling. e.g. Power BI, Alteryx and SQL.
- Regulatory experience, for example engagement on regulatory attestations, letters and ad-hoc information requests.
- Experience with managing large and complex projects which consider both technology and business operating model change.