About Man Group
Man Group is a global active investment management firm, which runs $108.5bn* of client capital in liquid and private markets, managed by investment specialists based around the world.
Headquartered in London, the firm has 15 international offices and operates across multiple jurisdictions. Our business has five specialist investment engines, which represent the range of our capabilities: Man AHL, Man Numeric, Man GLG, Man FRM and Man GPM. These engines house numerous investment teams, working collaboratively within the framework of Man Group, with a high degree of investment autonomy. Each team benefits from the strength and resources of the firm’s single operating platform, enabling their primary focus to be seeking to generate alpha for clients. The teams invest across a diverse range of strategies and asset classes with highly specialised approaches, with long only and alternative strategies run on a discretionary
and quantitative basis in single and multi-manager formats. Our clients are at the heart of everything we do and we engage in close dialogue with our investors as strategic partners, to understand their particular needs and constraints. Man Group’s investment teams are empowered and supported by our institutional infrastructure and technology, which aims to facilitate the efficient exposure to markets and effective collaboration across the organisation.
Through the Man Charitable Trust, Man Group is committed to promoting literacy and numeracy on a global scale, and to supporting charitable causes more broadly. Man Group plc is listed on the London Stock Exchange under the ticker EMG.LN and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index. Further information can be found at www.man.com. For more information about Man Group’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, please visit
*As at 31 December 2018. All investment management and advisory services are offered through the investment “engines” of Man AHL, Man Numeric, Man GLG, Man FRM and Man Global Private Markets (GPM).
Purpose of the role
The Middle Office Accountant is primarily responsible for assisting Asset Managers by providing review/analysis of fund profit and loss accounts and calculating the Net Asset Value (NAV) of funds. They are responsible for highlighting potential operational or valuation issues to the Asset Manager.
The allocations accounting specialist will focus on the budgeting, allocation and charging for research, financing and other costs consumed by Asset Managers.
- Manage the detail of the Middle Office Team’s various activities relating to accounting for the research consumption of funds, whilst having a strong understanding of the overall research oversight framework and how that is impact by business changes
- Build, operate and control robust allocations processes on multi manager funds and where managers operate multiple funds
- Evolve and execute robust controls, including strong reconciliation skills between different data sources. Review existing systems / processes / procedures and MIS to identify areas ofpossible enhancements
- Ensure compliance to the relevant regulatory requirements and firm’s policies
- Partner with finance and business teams in the preparation of research budgets. Ensure thatthese are then implemented for the funds
- Produce reporting for regular governance forums, including quarterly research oversight committee
- Management of stakeholders across different groups including Front Office, Finance andExternal Vendors
- Support the wider NAV and oversight responsibilities of the middle office accounting team,including P&L /pricing controls, NAV review, capital and FX hedging
- Apply technical understanding to securities pricing across the business
- Qualified Accountant with a numerate background, typically in banking or asset management
- Experience of seller/buyer recharging in a complex environment with multiple service providers and end users. Understanding of and ability to explain expense drivers and allocation models
- Ability to perform effective budget reviews and to produce MI which is clear and impeccably presented
- A team player, who is also comfortable to take individual ownership
- Knowledge of vendor contract management, VAT charging, trade booking operations, payments operations, cash flow and funding are highly desirable. Also desirable are a demonstrable interest in investment funds and the regulatory environment
- Track record in driving process improvement and leading efficiency initiatives, with a firmfocus on establishing and documenting robust procedures
- Strong skills in using Excel, PowerPoint, and cost/resource management systems
- Strong communications skills and an ability to collaborate with other groups, influence successful outcomes, and challenge views where appropriate
- Experience of Product/ Valuations Control, traded financial instruments
Work-Life Balance and Benefits at Man
- Man Group is proud to provide the best working environment possible for all of its employees, and we are committed to equality of opportunity. We support professional training and development, and requests for flexible or part-time working.
- Man Group also supports many awards, charities and initiatives around the world. Further information can be found at www.man.com.
- Employees are also offered two ‘ManKind’ days of paid leave per year as part of the Man Charitable Trust’s community volunteering programme.
- We offer our employees a comprehensive benefits package, including private medical cover, discounted gym membership, on-site health assessments on-site flu vaccinations, daily food allowance at our internal kitchens, subsidised in-house bar and an employee discount scheme.
- Flexible working - We offer flexible working with the chance to work from home – the number of days will be down the hiring manager’s discretion.