Engineering at Gymshark is growing, massively, and we have huge ambitions! At around 40 engineers (don’t quote us…it’s growing weekly!) and part of the wider Tech team, we have some serious and exciting opportunities ahead.
As one of the UK’s fastest growing companies and being a true global D2C brand through our tech products, Engineering is very much at the forefront of everything we deliver to our passionate community. We are an agile team applying the company’s ethos, ‘Be a visionary’, to the engineering aspect of the business.
In your role as a Mobile Engineering Manager, you will take ownership of the codebases and delivery mechanisms involved in delivering the requirements of the business and, working with Scrum masters, ensure the team lives both Gymshark and agile values as well as engineering principles and expected standards day to day.
You will manage and continually build the capability of and manage a small to medium team of mobile software engineers instilling best practice in solving mobile engineering problems and influence self-organisation within the sprint team, to ensure team ownership and accountability for committed work. You will be a people leader, supporting your team and building upon our culture to foster a happy, highly productive team that innovate and challenge the norm.
You may know of us as a Shopify merchant, but we’re so much more. It’s true, we love Shopify and highly value our partnership with them, but we build our own infrastructure and applications and Shopify form part of the wider stack, which relies on the following technologies:
- ReactJS and the React ecosystem
- Swift and Kotlin for Native mobile development
- GoLang for our serverside and serverless applications
- AWS Infrastructure and Terraform for provisioning
- Serverless and Kubernetes for some of our services and pipelines
- Java for our Quality Assurance Automation
Could you be our next Mobile Engineering Manager? Here's the role up close:
- Leading, managing and coaching a team of 6-8 senior, midweight and junior mobile software engineers and ultimately will be the single point of decision for your team. Whilst assisting in the recruitment process and expansion of the development team where required, with support from Tech leadership and the people team.
- Making a significant contribution to the development of our mobile applications and codebases through coaching and leading a team of senior, midweight and junior engineers.
- Building the capability of senior engineers to assist in building a highly effective team, capable of handling the complexities and challenges that come from supporting a global, fast-growth organisation.
- Actively encouraging process improvement on a sprint-by-sprint basis through increased team velocity and process changes to the betterment of the team.
- Ensuring the teams approach to solutions and architecture is strategically the right solution for the business and you encourage a group decision.
- Contributing to the engineering strategy applied by Tech leaders to our applications.
- Working closely with other engineering managers to form a ‘horizontal’ team aligning on general engineering approach and delivery requirements.
- Collaborating with product teams and key stakeholders to ensure that expectations are managed, delivering projects as required as well as ensuring that key deliverables are met within the specified timelines.
- Working to ensure project work is progressing within agreed timelines and that the team’s autonomy is maintained while aligning with the aims of the business.
- To be able to demonstrate extensive experience in clientside software engineering, preferably with a considerable number of those in a mobile engineering role and some knowledge of CI/CD
- Experience in leading engineering teams in a similar capacity and experience in the recruitment and line management of engineers or have an appetite to upskill in this area.
- Demonstratable knowledge of Agile practices and the Scrum Framework and its application and delivery.
- Extensive experience with version control systems and centralised code management.
- To be an expert in one of the following mobile engineering languages; Swift, Java or Kotlin.
- Intimate knowledge of the mobile development platforms and associated systems (such as App stores, certification processes, hardware and operating system SDKs, package management