The Arab British Centre is pleased to offer an exciting opportunity for an experienced office administrator to work for a dynamic cultural charity and to contribute to its strategic direction.
The Arab British Centre aims to further understanding of the Arab world by promoting its culture, sharing its knowledge and supporting a community of individuals and organisations that work to enhance friendship and collaboration between people of the UK and the Arab world.
From our premises in Gough Square we organise and promote cultural and artistic events, and host a community of like-minded resident organisations. The Arab British Centre currently employs three members of full time staff - the Executive Director, Programmes Director and Communications and Events Officer. The small team works closely together on a collaborative basis, and are governed by a board of eight trustees.
The Office Manager will support the Executive Director to look after the finance and administration of The Arab British Centre as well oversee the management of the charity’s six storey building in Gough Sqaure.
The Arab British Centre offers like-minded charities and non-profit organisations ‘Licence to Occupy’ a subsidised office space at the Centre. These organisations are referred to as ‘resident organiations’ or ‘licensees’. Current resident organisations are: The Council for Arab British Understanding (CAABU), IBRAAZ, Centre for Transnational
Collaboration and Development, Zaytoun, Friends of Edward Saeed Conservatory, Shubbak Festival and film maker Ashtar AlKhirsan. Associate Resident organisations include, Banipal magazine, Arts Cabinet, FOBZU, Pressure Cooker Arts, and Nabaa UK. For more information about our resident organisations please visit:https://www.arabbritishcentre.org.uk/about-us/residents/
The Arab British Centre currently hires FMS to manage facilities and schedule maintenance visits and repairs, and BTA to manage all IT support for the building. The new Office Manager will work in conjunction with these suppliers to maintain the smooth running of the building. In time, we aim for the office manager to take over the day-to-day facilities management of the building.
As an experienced finance and office administrator, we expect the post holder to manage the day-to-day administration for the organisation as well as manage the activities that facilitate the smooth
running of The Arab British Centre’s building in Gough Square. The new post holder will also have the opportunity to develop and implement the strategic plans to improve the efficiency and
sustainability of the Centre, including but not limited to, the development of new administrative systems and initiatives such as a membership scheme for associate residents.
Finance and Administration:
- Day to day bookkeeping (we use Quickbooks online) paying suppliers and staff expenses.
- Support the Executive Director to process expenses and invoices, prepare operations budgets, and compile
- reports and information for the statutory annual accounts for Companies House, Charity Commission and
- HM Revenue & Customs
- Other ad-hoc duties, including administration of Insurance, annual licenses and contracts.
- Identifying weaknesses in the company’s current finance and other filing systems and finding ways to solve
- Identifying cost-reduction opportunities.
Office and Building Management
- Responsible for overall building management, including liaison with service providers, contractors, facilities management contractor and IT support services, and ensure everything is run efficiently and smoothly.
- Identify and renew utilities, maintenance and service provider contracts.
- Coordinate procurement and vendor contracts for office equipment and materials.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable health and safety laws and regulations.
- Working with the current facilities manager to oversee building maintenance visits ensuring access to
- maintenance personnel and authorised keyholder presence at all times. Ensure appropriate reporting to the
- facilities manager as applicable
- Ensure the Arab British Centre is compliant with statutory fire safety obligations including conducting weekly
- fire alarm call point tests, regular 6-monthly fire drills and following all other fire safety compliance
- Communicate with the Arab British Centre’s Licensees (resident organisations) on matters pertaining to their
- use of the Centre and its facilities.
- First point of contact for resident organisations based at 1 Gough Square on items including but not limited to: Bookings for meeting rooms, maintenance issues, IT support issues, general queries and support.
- Manage bookings for meeting room.
- Manage licensee contracts with resident organisations ensuring residents are compliant with The Arab
- British Centre’s terms and conditions for Licensees.
- Advertise Office vacancies and prepare contracts for new licencees.
- Organise monthly or bi-monthly meetings for resident organisations to discuss issues and ideas for managing
- operations of building more effectively.
- Support the Executive Director to organize mandatory trainings for residents, associate residents and
- Support the Executive Director to develop a new membership scheme for associate resident organisations.
- Administer HR Administration including absences, company policies, health and safety and privacy policies.
- Work alongside the Executive Director in the development, implementation and monitoring of organisational policies and procedures including equality, health and safety, grievance procedures, leave of absence, etc.
- Ensure that all Arab British Centre personnel files are securely stored and privacy/confidentiality of all personal data relating to staff and the Board are maintained in accordance with the latest general data protection regulations.
- Support the Executive Director to identify and implement staff training and professional development opportunities.
Ad Hoc Duties:
- Customer Service duties, including answering incoming calls and scheduling appointments
- Follows up on phone calls and contacts as appropriate
- Answers general emails and postal correspondence.
- Manage the diary of Executive Director when necessary.
This post is likely to suit someone who is already working as an office administrator (with financial responsibilities) or finance administrator in a small business or charity, and would like the opportunity to be part of the growth and strategic development of a dynamic cultural organization.
We need an individual willing to play a hands-on role, take responsibility for day-to-day tasks, and work collaboratively with a small team. The Arab British Centre runs events and activities and it may sometimes be necessary to step in and support the rest of the team with the delivery of projects.
The successful candidate will demonstrate good communication skills, meticulous attention to detail and the ability to grow in the post and to take on more responsibility over time.
In summary, the successful candidate will have:
- At least 2-3 years’ experience of working as an office administrator with financial responsibilities.
- Familiarity with Quickbooks, or experience of other accountancy packages plus an aptitude for navigating
- new software
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- A recognised accountancy qualification