Broken String Biosciences is a Cambridge-based genomics company with the goal of developing safer cell and gene therapies by assessing the stability of the genome. We are leveraging state of the art genomic sequencing technologies to better understand the factors that determine on and off-target activity during CRISPR genome editing, with the vision to build a technology platform that will drive the development of CRISPR gene therapies that are safer by design. Starting with our first patented technology, INDUCE-seq, which for the first time enables precise digital mapping of DNA double strand breaks in the genome, Broken String Biosciences is building a suite of genomics technologies that will assess all elements of genetic safety during the genome editing process. This will provide the information required to design CRISPR gene therapies that are fundamentally safer, ensuring that this potentially life-saving technology can be delivered to patients.
We recently graduated from the global Illumina Accelerator program in Cambridge, UK, and completed our first major fundraising event. With offices based at the BioData Innovation Centre (BIC) on the world-renown Wellcome Genome Campus, this is an exciting opportunity to join a well-funded and fast-paced start-up in the CRISPR and genomics space at a very early stage.
We are seeking a part-time Officer Manager to join a small team and co-ordinate the smooth running of the company’s back-office functions.
As part-time Office Manager, you will focus initially on setting up our office at the BioData Innovation Centre on the Sanger Campus, Hinxton and establishing the necessary back-office functions for the company. You will support the CEO and Chair/COO in the administration of HR and finance functions in co-ordination with our external professional advisors and accountants. You will also set up and maintain a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system to track our interactions with customers, collaborators, and investors.
Once the core activities have been set up, you will support the CEO and Chair/COO in raising further investment rounds from UK, European and US-based venture capital investors. This will require the maintenance of investor decks, electronic data rooms and considerable attention to detail, in co-ordination with our external legal advisors.
You are the ideal candidate if you have relevant prior experience and are looking to deploy your technical skills within an ambitious start-up and have a personal impact as a part of a growing team.
Role & Key Responsibilities
- Responsibility for on-site and remote office functions including physical and electronic company records and files
- Maintaining HR records and supporting the management team in all HR matters including recruitment, payroll/benefits and performance reviews
- Undertaking purchasing, invoicing, credit control, insurance and banking functions
- Interacting with our management accountants and company secretary for the preparation of monthly management accounts and filing of statutory documentation
- Maintaining a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system to track our interactions with customers, collaborators and investors
- Preparation for and attendance at monthly Board Meetings
- Relevant prior experience of office management and its responsibilities
- Familiarity with MS Office and other software applications
- Organised, reliable and personable
- Ability to manage confidential information
- Proactive and can-do attitude
- Ability to design and institutionalise office processes and protocols
- Excellent communicator, both verbal and written
- Ability to multi-task, working on multiple projects / initiatives
- Enjoys being part of a small but fast-growing team
- A good understanding of IT-related topics within the office environment
- Financially and commercially aware.
Work Remotely: Flexible. Some time required on-site and some WFH is available
Salary: Competitive with benefits and participation in company share scheme
Reporting to: CEO and Chair/COO