The Herne Hill Velodrome is a velodrome in Herne Hill, in south London. It is one of the oldest cycling tracks in the world, having been built in 1891. It hosted the track cycling events in the 1948 Summer Olympics and was briefly the home of Crystal Palace Football Club during World War I.
As part of the Southwark Olympic Legacy Project work began on the upgrade of the Velodrome in February 2013. The first phase included the construction of a new Junior 250m track, a hardstanding area for warming up and to hold activities like bike-ability, bike polo and non conventional bikes (e.g. handbikes and other cycles used by Wheels for Wellbeing) and installation of floodlights for longer training sessions in the winter.
A £200,000 grant from British Cycling allowed the track to be resurfaced, and £1.5 million was secured from Sport England and the London Marathon Trust for the construction of a new pavilion, which began in April 2016 and was completed in 2017. The pavilion, designed by Mike Taylor of Hopkins Architects (who also designed the London Olympic Velodrome), was opened in March 2017 with a ribbon-cutting ceremony carried out by Union Cycliste Internationale President Brian Cookson.
The Trust is the governing body and its wholly owned trading company (TradeCo) runs the track with track hire, catering and event costs and income to be accounted for.
Herne Hill Velodrome now seeks a part-time bookeeper for general bookkeeping & financial admin duties.
We wish to appoint as soon as possible.
Key duties include:
1. Posting purchase invoices (with appropriate backing documentation) into Xero across both the Trust (including Friends) & TradeCo, and requesting payment by the Treasurers.
2. Overseeing sales invoicing at TradeCo, ensuring TradeCo staff are coding correctly & posting where necessary.
3. Chasing late payments.
4. Reconciling bank accounts at Trust & TradeCo.
5. Ensuring that all staff expenses are submitted & prepared for payment in a timely fashion.
6. Working with our payroll provider to ensure smooth running of payroll.
7. Submission of quarterly VAT returns at Trust (includes Friends) & TradeCo, or working with our partners if VAT filing is outsourced.
8. Preparing & filing the annual gift aid claim at the Trust level.
9. Working with TradeCo staff & Treasurers to develop TradeCo financial polices manual.
10. Working with the Track manager to develop processes that facilitate ease of bookkeeping, including end of year stocktake framework.
11. Working with the Treasurers to develop a monthly MI reporting system for the TradeCo.
12. Responding to queries from the accountants/auditors.
13. Other ad hoc tasks as directed.
Terms of emplyment
It is envisaged that the role will be in the region of 2 days/week on average, but with significant flexibility in the working arrangement.
Although the work could be carried out remotely, presence at the track, 1 day/week at the track would be an advantage and needed at some times.
The position would be paid, and we have previously considered remuneration of up to £15/hour, annualised to approx up to £27,000 pro rata