New London Synagogue is a modern and diverse congregation of over 450 families hailing from around the globe and across, and even beyond, the Jewish community.
New London is looking for a Part Time Finance Manager (4 days per week) to assume responsibility for the Synagogue’s finance & accounting operation. This will be a sole charge position and you will be accountable for all bookkeeping tasks through to completing month-end accounts, yearly budgeting and forecasting. This role will be fundamental to helping maintain the excellent reputation that New London has strived for. An inquisitive mindset and a real desire to work in an SME or charity environment are vital. The position is open to applicants regardless of faith.
Reporting to the Treasurer and the Operations Manager, key responsibilities include:
- Budgeting, forecasting, costing, cost allocation and analysis
- Cashflow forecasting
- Preparing and overseeing monthly reporting pack of P&L and balance sheet
- Sole responsibility for the day-to-day financial transactions, all AP & AR duties
- Monthly bank reconciliations
- Bi-weekly payment runs.
- Setting up and running in house payroll
- Preparing Gift Aid claims
- Tight control of membership database and accounting for all forms of income & revenue (donations, membership fees etc)
- Assisting with the audit
- Maintaining the fixed asset register
- Overseeing smooth transition from Xero accounting software to QuickBooks accounting software
- Process improvement and optimising use of financial systems
- Working with the Operations Manager to drive process improvements.
- Supporting the Operations Manager with ad hoc projects
Summary of experience/qualifications
- Ideally ACA/ACCA/CIMA qualified but will also consider QBE.
- Ability to work in small teams.
- Experience of QuickBooks, Xero or cloud-based system an added benefit
- Knowledge of charity accounting is advantageous but not essential.
- Strong IT skills, High level of competence with Microsoft Excel (V-lookups and Pivot Tables)
- Confidence to challenge existing process in search of efficiencies.
- Good telephone manner and ability to interact with members.
- A sense of humour, a passion for working hard towards a common goal, great attention to detail.
- Flexibility in adapting to different cultures.
Deadline for Applications Friday 23rd July 2021
All Third-Party Applications will be forwarded to SRM Recruitment.