We are looking for a progressive, hands on People Manager to bring support, structure and speedy development to the rich culture we’re building at Poppy’s, where we take a fresh approach to funerals.
You’ll spend your time with us:
- Developing a practical, future-proof induction, training and personal development programmes to best support our team and drive the company’s growth
- Designing and implementing a progressive appraisal and performance management structure within which our individual team members can thrive
- Creating a dynamic, progressive employee handbook to help guide and support our teams
- Designing and overseeing regular recruitment campaigns and induction for new recruits
- Actively pursuing strategies that develop diversity and inclusion within the team
- Resourcing leaders to support their teams day to day
- Developing tools to measure, monitor and report on the impact of your role
- Acting as the HR expert within the team for any issues that arise
- Developing and running regular, progressive audits on subjects like team satisfaction, culture, stress and exhaustion to objectively assess how we’re doing and what needs tweaking
- Acting as an inspiring spokesperson within the team for our people-centred approach
- Longer term, develop a possible accredited training programme for external stakeholders
(We’re a small team, so you’ll also need to be ready to work flexibly and beyond your job description when necessary, getting involved with strategic and ad hoc projects as and when they come up.)
We are looking for someone who has/is great at:
- At least 3 years experience in People/HR, ideally in a fast growing and/or progressive organisation
- Broad knowledge and experience of people management, development and training
- A progressive approach towards subjects such as diversity and mental health
- The ability to come at at your role from the perspective of ‘power with’ and ‘power for’ rather than ‘power over’
- Experience setting and developing a great and supportive internal culture
- A generalist who can turn their hand to whatever needs attention
- A proponent of measurability and reporting, keen to prove the value of your work
- Strategically-inclined so you can develop as the company, and your role within it, grows
- An effective, positive communicator, able to gain the team’s trust and co-operation
- Rigorous and efficient at organising others
- Comfortable challenging others, offering opinions and taking constructive feedback
- Able and confident to ask for support when necessary
Preferably you will have a:
- Knowledge of and passion for responsible business schemes such as B Corps
The finer details:
- Location: Tooting, dividing time between our HQ and working from home.
- Team: you’ll work pretty autonomously in a busy, thriving team
- Reporting: you’ll report to our Founder, Poppy Mardall.
- Holidays: 32 days (including BHs)
- Being part of a team where our work is incredibly rewarding and meaningful
- Split home/Tooting HQ working means you won't always be office-bound
- We facilitate flexible working where possible
- Regular reflection and support sessions are offered to our whole team alongside an active culture of peer support, autonomous working, and constructive feedback
- Employer pension contribution of 3%
We see this role as being a 3 to 4 day a week role.
We respect people’s time and really do want to give as much flexibility as we can to our team - we just need to make sure a role like this is as available to our members of staff as much as possible.
Our normal working hours are 9am until 5pm but we encourage a flexible approach and want to incorporate your needs and best working patterns as much as possible so if your ideal working hours don’t quite fall in line with this, please do let us know.
COVID 19 Information
- First round interviews will take place on Zoom
- The final shortlist will be invited on a behind-the-scenes tour which will take place at our Tooting HQ
- You will divide your time between our HQ in Tooting and home working but this, along with all our working practices, is in review in line with our risk assessments
Additional Application Instructions