Engineering at Gymshark is growing, massively, and we have huge ambitions! At around 40 engineers (don’t quote us…it’s growing weekly!) and part of the wider Tech team, we have some serious and exciting opportunities ahead.
As one of the UK’s fastest growing companies and being a true global D2C brand through our tech products, Engineering is very much at the forefront of everything we deliver to our passionate community. We are an agile team applying the company’s ethos, ‘Be a visionary’, to the engineering aspect of the business.
In your role as an engineering manager you will take ownership of the codebases and delivery mechanisms involved in delivering the requirements of the business and, working with Scrum masters, ensure the team lives both Gymshark and agile values as well as engineering principles and expected standards day to day.
You will manage and continually build the capability of a small to medium team of platform reliability engineers instilling best practice in solving engineering problems and influence self-organisation within the sprint team, to ensure team ownership and accountability for committed work. You will be a people leader, supporting your team and building upon our culture to foster a happy, highly productive team that innovate and challenge the norm.
You may know of us as a Shopify merchant, but we’re so much more. It’s true, we love Shopify and highly value our partnership with them, but we build our own infrastructure and applications and Shopify form part of the wider stack, which relies on the following technologies:
- ReactJS and the React ecosystem
- Swift and Kotlin for Native mobile development
- GoLang for our serverside and serverless applications
- AWS Infrastructure and Terraform for provisioning
- Kubernetes and Docker for some of our services and pipelines
- Java for our Quality Assurance Automation
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
- Manage, coach and develop a team of 6-8 DevOps and reliability engineers of a mix of backgrounds and experiences levels
- Guide and support the team in their personal and professional development through coaching, relationship development and continuous feedback
- Support the team to become a sustainably high performing team, capable of handling the complexities and challenges supporting a global, fast-growing organisation
- Continuously improve leadership and engineering management best practices alongside other engineering managers and guide engineers.
- Actively encourage process improvement on a sprint-by-sprint basis
- Create a safe and trusted space for engineers to thrive and become the best they can be
- Assist in the recruitment and expansion of the engineering teams where required, with support from Tech leadership and People teams.
- Contribute to the development of our engineering processes and infrastructure through coaching and leading a team of senior, mid-weight and junior engineers.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of our leadership practices to ensure we live our values
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Experience managing, coaching and mentoring the performance and development of DevOps or software engineers
- The ability to lead with empathy, support the whole person and care deeply about the wellbeing, development and continuous improvement of every engineer in the team
- Experience supporting software or DevOps engineers through strong relationship skills and a genuine care for them and their development
- The ability to communicate what a high-performing engineering team looks like and lead the team there.
- The ability to collaborate across teams and functions to continuously improve team performance
- Experience as a software, DevOps or reliability engineer
- Demonstrable knowledge of cloud-based environments and development practices (such as AWS, Google Cloud or Azure, version control, Serverless, Kubernetes).
- Knowledge of CI/CD, build pipelines and similar practices
- Experience in the recruitment, onboarding and line management of engineers
- An appetite to learn and be continuously curious
Here are some of the perks we offer:
- Competitive 'Win Together, Lose Together' Bonus
- Full private medical insurance with no excess
- 25 days holidays + your birthday and all the Bank Holidays which can be substituted and taken whenever you want.
- A truly Flexible Working Culture
- A collaborative, creative and inspiring working environment
- Employer pension contributions up to 7%
- Life Assurance at four times your basic salary
- 50% Gymshark Discount & Gymshark Gift Card for each year of service
- Financial, Physical and Mental Wellbeing Support
- Great Training and Learning Resources
- Choice of hardware and access to the best software
- Paid time off when you’re physically and mentally unwell
- Very Generous Family Leave package – we support you extending your family
GS Campus Perks:
- Healthy fresh food at GSHQ
- Lifting Club (LC) Gym Membership
- Free monthly massages
- Beauty and Barber facilities
- Free on-site parking