Who we are:
The Duchy of Lancaster is a private portfolio of land and property assets held in trust for the British Sovereign. It is an ancient inheritance which began in 1265.
Today the Duchy operates as a highly successful, modern property development and asset management company with a diverse asset base. With offices in the heart of London’s Savoy estate and Lancaster’s historic Castle we are a small and dynamic team (31) with a flat management structure and a can-do culture. This role will be primarily based in Lancaster and will involve travel within the Duchy Surveys.
The asset management of the Duchy estates has recently been brought in house and we have identified great opportunities as a result. It’s a fun place to work and the diverse nature of the business means that no two days are ever the same. Given our history and unique ownership, we undertake some fascinating and extremely rewarding work. In many ways, we are shaping tomorrow’s history today.
We are committed to restoring the estate, sustainably growing the business and acting with integrity at all times. Over the last 12 months we have invested significantly in adding new talent and skills to the team so that we can continue to grow and realise our vision for the future.
Who you are:
You will be a qualified surveyor and a team player with considerable experience of the property market, both as a developer and asset manager. Your role will involve providing development and refurbishment advice in the rural communities in which we operate. You will work closely with the Head of Rural and Head of Project Management. Your work will be predominantly focused on estates in Yorkshire and Lancashire albeit from time to time may involve our estates in Cheshire and Staffordshire.
You will have experience of development from inception to completion.
You will need to appoint and manage project teams, run financial appraisals, secure planning consent and approvals to develop and let the resultant schemes. You will work hand in glove with a Project Manager who has responsibility for construction and the relevant Rural Surveyor who will provide market knowledge on the rental level and assist in the lettings.
What we need:
- A fully qualified surveyor with a demonstrable track record of development, experience and knowledge of respected architects, strong attention to detail and an understanding and respect for rural communities.
- A clear communicator, creative mind and a team player; someone with an energetic, flexible and can-do attitude (no silos here!) who can lead a team and deliver demand led projects on time and on budget.
- An ability to think critically and put forward creative solutions as appropriate.
- Experience of a private estate and appreciation of working with traditional materials in an efficient and sustainable way.
- A genuine interest in the affairs, history and diverse business units across the Duchy.
What we can offer you:
- An exciting and stimulating role in a dynamic and supportive team.
- A chance to use your expertise and experience to make a real difference to a growing business.
- The opportunity to develop your knowledge and skills base across a wide range of property sectors.
- A warm, friendly, non-sexist, non-hierarchical and non-political working environment.
- Flexibility, support, empowerment.
If you’re excited by this and you have the relevant experience, we’d be delighted to hear from you.