This role sits within Howard Kennedy's M&A team within the Corporate Department.
The M&A team comprises a multi-disciplinary team of lawyers, who provide legal advice on corporate transactions and for clients across a range of sectors. Our work includes:
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- AIM work
- Private Equity
- Corporate Real Estate
Tasks and Responsibilities
The role is a general corporate role, supporting partners across the team and dealing with a varied range of transactional and non-transaction work, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, shareholder arrangements and investments, reconstructions and re organisations and general corporate and company law advice.
You will be involved and will take the lead on a wide range of transactions including share acquisitions and disposals; business acquisitions and disposals; MBOs; joint ventures; investments; reconstructions and re-organisations; LLP and partnership agreements; and providing general corporate and company law advice including in connection with directors' duties and corporate governance. You may also get involved in some AIM work including IPOs and fund raising.
You will be likely be working with entrepreneurial and growth businesses; restaurants and retail clients; acquisitive businesses and private equity; high net worth families; and overseas investors. You are also likely to get involved in advising international clients and clients referred by our international networks on their international deals; acquisitions of UK assets and inward investment.
The successful candidate will take a lead role in taking client instructions and work with and supervise associates, solicitors, trainees and paralegals on various projects, liaising with and coordinating advice from other departments on projects and transactions, especially IP/ commercial, real estate, employment, tax, private client, and banking.
The M&A team also takes an advisory role (non-transactional) to other departments within the Firm including private client, dispute resolution and family. This work is often very varied.
You will be given a high level of responsibility and you are likely to be liaising with senior stakeholders and have extensive client interaction and exposure to senior management, including at the CEO and CFO level.
The M&A team has a very open and collegiate team structure and you will be encouraged to be involved in business development initiatives and also to assist in training and development (with guidance from our corporate PSL).
Required Skills and Experience
- 7+ years PQE
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team. Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and clients at all levels.
- Must be able to interpret instructions correctly and act upon them.
- Must be comfortable using own initiative and taking responsibility where necessary and appropriate.
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to perform in a high volume, deadline-orientated role.
- Experienced in running and leading complex transactions.
- Experienced in taking the lead in negotiating core transaction documents.
- Must be discreet and have a sound understanding of client confidentiality.
- Positive attitude with high level of personal motivation.
- Experience of private company M&A and general corporate work. AIM experience is an advantage but not a requirement.
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual holiday
- Permanent Health Insurance
- Life Assurance
- Interest free Season Ticket Loan
- Private Healthcare
- Pension Scheme
- Staff Introductory Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme