Purpose of this role
This is an exciting management position that plays a crucial role in the firm's Strategy Project Management Team. It supports the successful, on time and on budget delivery of the firm's strategic projects portfolio which comprises of approximately 15 high profile, high impact global business projects.
Key responsibilities cover three areas
- Programme and project delivery
- Team management
- Portfolio management assurance and support
Programme and project management
- Managing programmes and projects as required, with an emphasis on the highest profile and challenging work that needs to be delivered on behalf of the firm's Executive Committee.
- Working with the Head of Projects, key stakeholders from across the business and other Project Managers to support the shaping and mobilisation of new projects, particularly with a focus on enabling the business to decide on which investments to prioritise.
- Providing some day-to-day line-management to some of the Strategy Project Management team, with emphasis on their personal and professional development and ensuring their projects are set up for success.
- Supporting the Head of Projects in effective resource management, finding opportunities for team members to lead projects which are commensurate with their experience and development areas.
- Running effective team meetings and ensuring that knowledge is shared across the projects' teams and the wider business.
- Setting and monitoring personal objectives for team members, actively seeking and providing feedback, and identifying development areas.
- Providing additional support through coaching and mentoring.
Portfolio management responsibilities include:
- Working closely with the Head of Projects, Project Managers and the PMO to ensure that new programmes and projects are set up for success (e.g. clear scope, deliverables, approach, timescales, budgets etc.) and are led effectively using appropriate methodologies and controls to deliver on time and to budget. This includes advising on appropriate governance channels.
- Working with the PMO and Head of Projects to provide quality assurance across all strategy programmes and projects, ensuring that they have clear plans, budgetary controls and project documentation (e.g. business cases and PDDs); particularly providing advice and guidance during the start-up phase of projects and acting as a quality gate prior to the submission of documentation for approval to the Projects Approval Board / Portfolio Management Board.
- Proactively identifying risks and issues and intervening or advancing as needed to get projects back on track and handle stakeholder impacts.
- Fostering successful project delivery ensuring that the firm's best practice is followed.
- Supporting the continuous improvement of the firm's project management capability through training and other initiatives,
This role reports into Linklaters' Head of Projects and will work closely with:
- Global COO
- Firmwide Managing partner and other key management positions
- The Director Group
- Technology Portfolio and Programme Manager
- Head of Innovation
- Partners and lawyers
- A solid track record of leading global project and programme delivery with a strong knowledge of and experience in applying change management best practice
- Ability to lead teams by example and engage with other senior leaders in a peer to peer capacity. Willing to have difficult conversations to ensure the right outcomes for the firm.
- People management of direct reports as well as matrix programme and project teams.
- Adept at self-management and re-prioritising own workload.
- Effectively running meetings, ensuring that individuals are able to contribute to ideas while staying on track and achieving clear outcomes.
- Confident at presenting to senior leadership teams.
3. Strategic advice / Consultancy
- Ability to provide consulting advice on programme and project delivery to the team, including Head of Projects and other business partners. Is recognised as a subject matter expert in the field with a particular leaning towards large scale and complex technology delivery.
- Adept at interpreting large volumes of data quickly and using rational, evidence-based logic to make case.
- Needs to be considerate of the partnership environment, willing to build consensus for decisions and collaborate effectively across multiple teams and geographies.