About Man Group
Man Group is an active investment management firm focused on delivering performance and client portfolio solutions through its five investment management businesses: Man AHL; Man Numeric; Man GLG; Man FRM and Man Global Private Markets.
Man Group’s investment management businesses provide long-only, alternative and private markets products on a single and multi-manager basis, leveraging the firm’s robust infrastructure to provide a diverse range of strategies across investment approaches, styles and asset classes.
The original business was founded in 1783. Today, Man Group plc is listed on the London Stock Exchange under the ticker EMG.L and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index. As at 31 December 2017, Man Group’s funds under management were $109.1 billion.
Man Group also supports many awards, charities and initiatives around the world, including sponsorship of the Man Booker literary prizes. Further information can be found at www.man.com.
About the Talent Management Function
Man has the aspiration to develop a commercially focused talent function comprised of high calibre talent specialists.
For the last 18 months Man AHL has been building a talent management strategy, and there is business demand for these efforts to be extended and improved across Man Group. This work has the full backing of the Group CEO and his management team.
The team will offer a consulting led approach to support leaders of each business to:
- Set and communicate a clear strategic direction
- Take a commercial view on talent requirements – ultimately supporting each business to match talent demand with talent supply
- Monitor and influence employee engagement
- Build a people management capability (within a framework that recognises and supports people managers)
- Provide employees with career, development and performance support
Purpose of the role
The Talent Coach & Consultant will be responsible for managing the delivery of a talent strategy to business leaders within Investment Management & Sales.
This will involve:
- Partnering with business heads and their management teams to define talent development requirement
- Operating as an internal coach for identified individuals
- Designing talent solutions that help deliver on the business talent priorities
- Executing talent solutions (this will be dependent on business need but indicative examples include: management team effectiveness initiatives, organisational design, talent review discussions, employee engagement initiatives, management skills development, executive assessments and feedback processes, career management support
This position is suited to somebody that has the ability and desire to work as an in-house coach and consultant, in a team dedicated to building a business relevant talent strategy.
The individual will need to be capable of:
- Providing a professional coaching service to individuals to a range of individuals facing various business and professional challenges (including: those directly impacted by market conditions on topics such as emotion management, judgement and decision making, over confidence / including: those making career transitions, responsible for delivering significant amounts of business change)
- Developing science based yet pragmatically implemented talent solutions (largely focused on practices that enable higher performance across the businesses you support)
- Operating to the highest professional standards. This is a position that has significant exposure to the firms operations and personnel, requiring the highest standards of personal and professional integrity at all times
- Operating in ‘start-up’ mode. Whilst some good traction has been built within pockets of the business, this is largely a Greenfield opportunity and will therefore suit somebody able to focus on building relationships to fully understand the business’s needs, build trust with potentially cynical or curious stakeholders, and bring a creative mind to solution design
Work life balance
Man Group is committed to providing the best working environment possible for all its employees and, as such, we support professional training and development as well as requests for flexible or part-time working.
- Prior experience of being an ‘in-house’ coach and consultant
- Prior experience of working with challenging stakeholders and being able to get buy-in to work
- Prior experience of designing and executing talent solutions that support the business to utilise their human capital
- An academic background in behavioural sciences, and an ability to translate theory into pragmatic solutions within an organisation
- Evidence of coach training and post training practice, supervision and continuing professional development
- Evidence of ongoing continuing professional development either through further academic study, professional qualifications or keeping abreast of industry best practices
Salary: Competitive Market Rate
Man’s business principles distil and define our key priorities, focus and culture:
Performance: First, foremost and always, we focus on delivering superior risk adjusted performance
Clients: Our clients are at the heart of everything we do
Excellence: Good is not enough, we strive to be excellent in all we do
Responsibility: We always do the right thing and conduct our business with the highest standards of integrity
Differentiation: We seek to be differentiated and original in our thinking
Meritocracy: We succeed through talent, commitment, diligence and teamwork
Benefits at Man
Man Group also supports many charities and initiatives through the Man Charitable Trust, which aims to create positive change by supporting charitable organisations that focus on raising levels of literacy and numeracy in the UK and by offering employees opportunities to invest their time and expertise in charitable initiatives. Employees are offered two ‘ManKind’ days of paid leave per year that can be used as part of the Man Charitable Trust’s community volunteering programme or in support of any other charity/not-for-profit organisation.
We offer our employees a comprehensive benefits package, including private medical cover, discounted gym membership, on-site health assessments and on-site flu vaccinations. To support our employees’ extracurricular interests, we have a music room with a piano and guitars that can be booked by anyone, and we also offer lessons on-site.
Man Group employees receive a daily food allowance, which can be used in our staff restaurant. The restaurant has several theatre-style cooking stations, a sandwich bar and a coffee shop (all of which can cater to special dietary requirements), and free fruit is available from the kitchens on each floor. We also have a subsidised in-house bar and an employee discount scheme with a wide range of discounts, all of which help us to ensure that the firm is a great place to work.
In addition, Man Group sponsors the Man Booker literary prizes and hosts several internal events with the authors to celebrate these awards. The prizes underscore Man Group's charitable focus on literacy and education and together with the wider charitable activities of the Booker Prize Foundation, the prize plays an important role in promoting literary excellence on a global scale that the firm is honoured to support.