Job Title: EMEA Tax Manager [VP]
Department: Finance, Tax
The EMEA Tax Compliance Manager will report to the EMEA Deputy Head of Tax and will sit within the wider Tax team based in our London headquarters. The successful candidate will primarily support Nomura's EMEA indirect tax position and compliance - however the desire and ability to assist in a wider range of tax initiatives is a prerequisite for this role.
- Managing VAT costs and risks across EMEA, particularly UK VAT
- Ensuring full compliance with all applicable VAT laws.
- Help manage VAT audits and controversies across EMEA
- Work closely with the Cost Management Team to ensure that irrecoverable VAT is being correctly budgeted for and monitor the current provisions to ensure adequacy
- Day to day management of the relationship with the India VAT compliance team
- Drive improvements and efficiencies in VAT processes and reporting
- Represent Nomura on industry bodies such as BBA and AFME
- Ad hoc project work
Wider Tax management:
- To assist the EMEA Deputy Head of Tax with other tax compliance and controversy issues as they arise. For example:
- Non UK tax filings and enquires: liaising and understanding key risk with the help of external advisors
- Liaison with other internal teams to ensure compliance is carried out to an appropriate standard (for example Financial Transaction Tax)
Key objectives critical to success:
- The successful candidate will need to have a proven track record of VAT compliance, preferably gained in the financial services sector
- The ability to prioritise competing demands on time.
- The ability to clearly and appropriately influence and communicate with a variety of internal and external stakeholders - both written and verbal.
- The ability to confidently deal with advisors
- The enthusiasm and initiative to be involved in a wider scope of taxes beyond VAT. Technical expertise in other taxes is not a requirement as the wider Tax Team will cover that.
Skills, experience, qualifications and knowledge required:
- Accounting and tax qualifications
- IT literate - including familiarity with tools beyond Excel (eg Alteryx)
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft or similar systems
- Proven management skills