Mizuho International Supported Returners Role – London
Market Risk Management Department – Vice President
We are delighted to be recruiting for a small number of supported returner roles at Mizuho International plc (MHI). There are permanent roles, at Vice President level, available within our Risk Management department. These roles are aimed at people who have taken a career break of two or more years and who are now looking to return to work.
We are hoping that our joiners will start together in March 2021, but we can offer flexibility around this. These newly created roles can be designed to accommodate a flexible working pattern to work for your situation and we’d like to hear what your ideal pattern might be. We are also open to discussing a gradual build-up of hours over your first month to best ensure maximum long term success. Due to COVID-19, the majority of us are currently 100% home based and expect many roles to include significant elements of homeworking on an ongoing basis. We do not anticipate that any of the roles will require international travel.
Who We Are
MHI is the London based securities and investment banking arm of the Mizuho Financial Group, one of the largest financial institutions in the world. Our wide range of services includes sales and trading in both debt and equity securities, derivatives and the underwriting of new issues and M&A advisory services.
The Market Risk Management (MRM) role will include:
Providing an independent assessment of risks taken by MHI’s trading activities. This involves substantial interaction with the trading desks, their management and liaison with other support areas. As a member of the MRM team, the successful candidate will be responsible for identifying, measuring and analysing market risk and for clear communication to senior management. The role also involves active participation in strategic initiatives designed to build upon and strengthen the current risk management framework.
The primary responsibilities of this role include (but are not limited to):
- Daily market risk management for various trading desks within the Fixed Income & Equity businesses;
- Produce periodic commentaries (daily; weekly; monthly) that link risk, P&L and market data information. Identify and communicate top market risks;
- Link the commentaries with market risk measures;
- Assist in reviewing exposures as part of the Volcker rule;
- Assist in keeping Front Office appraised of the methodology that is being used to calculate their risk positions;
- Pro-actively participate in market risk methodology reviews;
- Assist in reviews of current Limit framework and implement change as appropriate in consideration of MHI’s business plans;
- Assist in reviewing the Stress Testing scenarios and framework;
- Produce ad-hoc reviews of transactions and be involved in analysing new products on behalf of MRM;
- Participate in company initiatives to review the system infrastructure, to ensure it will provide a robust risk framework for the approved model set.
We are looking for a strong team player with:
- Experience in a Market Risk role;
- Appreciation of the risks inherent to the products covered in the past experiences;
- Ability to deliver value added analysis and comment to trading desks;
- Ability to identify risk measurement limitations;
- Good understanding of derivative products in the market risk management arena;
- Good understanding of risk measurement methodology techniques;
- Ability to communicate at all levels and deliver technical explanations to the lay- man as well as the practitioner;
- Ability to assimilate large amounts of data and transform into consumable information;
- Excel and Basic VBA
We are looking for experienced professionals who wish to restart their career in a high performing environment. The supported returners will be provided with bespoke training covering financial products, Microsoft Office products and bespoke coaching around confidence, presence, and resilience. We will also provide the supported returners with many opportunities to build relationships with colleagues and senior leaders from across the company. In addition to this you will have access to a wide range of development opportunities, and we will work with you to prioritise the best courses for your needs. Your team will also provide on the job training for your role and external support if required. We have a strong focus on mentorship, and you will be given a buddy and a mentor to support you in your return to work.
Skills and Experience Required
We are look for strong team players with experience in or related to Sustainability or Credit or Market Risk Management and ideally previous experience within the financial services sector. We acknowledge that Sustainability is a relatively new business area and as such are happy to hear from people with transferable skills for example from people with a background in Credit or Market Risk or Regulatory Liaison that can be leveraged by expanding / complementing with Sustainability. You will be supported in developing a good understanding of the relevant business areas for your role and related financial products. All of our roles are broad, and you will work with a variety of stakeholders within your department and across the organisation – flexibility of approach is therefore key. You will be required to build strong stakeholder relationships across the Company.
It is important to us that our people demonstrate our pillars of success of winning spirit, inspiring trust and diversity of thought. If you have excellent communication skills, strong problem-solving and analytical skills and are looking to return to work on a permanent basis following a career break of at least two years please do get in touch.
We champion a flexible work environment, as we understand the need for people to meet other commitments or simply strike a good work-life balance. As such, we are happy to talk flexible working for this role such as four days per week, a nine-day fortnight or reduced working hours. The role will also include regular homeworking. Applicants will have had a career break of at least two years.
At Mizuho International we are committed to supporting equality and diversity and seek to create a workplace that is fully inclusive. We welcome applications from all sections of the community that we operate in - - from all ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientation, beliefs, gender identities and disabilities. We particularly encourage applications from experienced female candidates who are currently under-represented within our candidate pool, however this is not a requirement for the hire.
If you require more information about our equal opportunities policy or wish to discuss any accessibility requirements or reasonable adjustments, please contact Joyce Simon on Joyce.Simon@uk.mizuho-sc.com.
Applications are open until 15 January 2021 with interviews taking place via Zoom in January. We hope for you to join us on 1 March 2021 but can be flexible as required. Applications will be screened as they come in, so if you are available for interviews before mid-January please indicate so in your application. If you would like to have an initial conversation about the role or any support that will be put in place before applying do get in touch with Joyce at Joyce.Simon@uk.mizuho-sc.com.
If you wish to apply please follow the links here: